Got My Exercise In Chasing One Down

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
I set up at a friend's place right off of the road. It is about 700 ish yards from where the bulk of his hog damage has been occurring lately, but I didn't want to get closer...as it would require walking through ankle deep water and mud...

...So of course, I see something that looks hog like coming out where this big boar supposedly makes his normal entrance to this particular pasture. I sigh, pack up my stuff, and head out into the slop.

I get halfway there, and I lose the heat signature. I walk back and forth a bit, scanning...no signature. I start to make my way back and stop a few hundred yards to scan another part of this open area. Lo and behold, I see what distinctly looks hog like back in the original area. He was probably 350 yards as a crow flies, but about a 450 yard stalk at that point.

Unfortunately he is going away, and going away FAST. I did what I could, which meant literally running after him like a fat guy who got short-changed by the ice cream truck.

I finally caught up to him, but he was in cattle by this point. I had to stalk my way through them, which only spooked them and stirred up the boar.

FINALLY, I got to a point where I could hastily take a shot. This meant no time to prep for good video...and no time to prep myself for a good shot.

He died, but it wasn't nearly as neat as I would like it to be. However, he won't be tearing up anymore pasture, so there is the silver lining.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job taking that pecker-head down. You earned that one. And, whatever it takes to put 'em down.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Lead flies, hog dies.

All's well that ends well, eh?
Good work (& I do mean WORK) getting that one.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was way more work for a hog hunt for me, but good job getting it done. He was a chunk too.

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad all that determination paid off!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That’s a big ol’ boy there. I got out of breath just looking at the map of your stalk! Good job on staying after him.