Goodbye Wilbur!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe this was the 6th or 7th hunt after this guy. I had my daughter out one of the times in hopes she would get him (and she named him) and even my neighbor gave it a go, but no luck until this evening.

When my daughter and I were out previously, we had dumped a little extra corn on the ground to help hold the hog in place if it showed up so that she would have a decent chance to shoot it. Well the turkeys moved in and devoured most of it. So I showed up early and dumped a LOT of extra corn on the ground and sure enough, the turkeys showed up, but fortunately, they did not stay too long as the rains came.

Loaded up with soda to stay away, nature called and I stepped out the back door to conduct my business. I finished up, sat in my chair and pivoted around and there was the hog coming down the trail from behind the feeder! Got the rifle on and then had to fight with the curtain to get properly aimed.

The shot entered between the right eye and right ear. I do not believe it exited, but there was considerable spray across the ground and across the shoulders of the boar.

It was nice to get home before my family went to bed for a change.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job Brian...you got the PING going!! Like seeing AB's return and cookies served!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Chopper !!!"

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shot! Thanks for posting!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good shot Mr B. Funny he even moved after, guess just the nerves. Little Willy probably never even got any before you removed him from the breeding pool lol.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lightning was cool effect!!! Bacon on the ground. He didn't like that pile of corn did he?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
PING! Good job. The video intro was even better this time.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A bloody mess and a "bloody good shot ole' chap".

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm loving your videos! Especially nice choice of music on this one, gave it that "espionage " feel.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good going Brian! The videos keep getting better and you always look like you are having the time of your life.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done man

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video! I like that you didn't wait around for him to get broadside, but anchored him head on.

Was there still some daylight when you shot? I guess a another nice thing about using a thermal sight is that you don't have to worry about it blooming out like night vision can do if you have to shoot westward a little after sundown.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey fanninland, I have a problem with patience and timing. If a good shot presents itself, I tend to take it while the taking is good. :D

There was daylight left when I took the shot. And that is a nice thing about thermal. As long as there is temperature variation and the target isn't the same temperature as the background, it doesn't matter if it is day or night.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nicely done good sir

kudos to sir kills a lot