Friday Nights Hunt

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

This video illustrates why you don't want a 5x power scope at night. I was holding a 5x thermal. Hog started at about 150 YDS. Shot at roughly 70-80 YDS.

Kevin had a 3x Pulsar Photon we played with. It's a great entry level

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, That is why I ordered the 3X ATN-X-sight, hoping I don't end up w the 5X as it is due out first.

HeadHunter

North Carolina
I have had good luck with the Photon 5X. I make sure I use the 2300Mah NiMh batteries. It is not thermal, but has worked very well out to 200 yards. Great for entry level!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
5x works great for longer range but the issue is when you're within 50 yards trying to find running hogs or follow up shot.

5x is just too much magnification for up close and personal multi-shots.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ed, that is what I am worried about, guess I will see if it ever gets here.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, the hogs are learning to counter attack into the ambush.

Good thing they don't have air-support

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I don't see the issue with 5x, which I am using. In your video you cut off close to half of the field of view however you recorded it, so not a good illustration.

I do agree that stalking and pigs under 50 yards a 3x would be a better option. The way I look at it, what is the average shot on hogs? Is it 30 yards, 50, 75 100? If your average shot is somewhere 75 or more, give me the 5x any day.

DFWRoadkill

SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a 5X Photon as part of my night vision equipment. It works well for the price, entry level as Ed put it. Most of my shots are over 50 yards, with many running about 80. I like doing head shots. Not into spray and pray across a field. The 5X is a good choice for this style.

The video does illustrate something all hog hunters have seen at one time or another....the hog getting back up. The shooter, being new, wasn't prepared for that. :D