First night out with pvs14

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm screwing and unscrewing the objective. I was wrong. I'll get home and get it out.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok boys I kinda got my S together a bit. The objective is pegged to the ccw direction. Any attempt to focus on blurry stars, turning the obj the only way I can, to the cw, results in more blur. Is the ring behind the obj with the small nut blocking my objective?

Manual says adjust diopter first to focus???.......but even doing that it seems that I'm focusing diopter on an imperfect image. Does that make any sense? It's a hand select itt pinnacle. Tube looks flawless. No spots, no dead pixels, etc. Everything is cool, no panic, and I certainly appreciate your input.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Can you take a picture from the side of the objective end and post it?

Is the nut behind the lens tight?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I can't post pics here brother. There are two small hex nuts on the plastic ring behind the obj ring. The plastic ring with nuts is super tight. It won't budge. Seems that the infinity ring is blocking me from ccw focusing the obj to clarity.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
To post pics, you need an "Image url" ... once you have an "image url" then you wrap image tags around the image url in your post.

[ i m g ] abc.img.url.here [ / i m g ]

Per above except I had to add the spaces so you could see it.

To get an image url, upload to imgur and then grab the "direct link" url.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
or photobucket and click in th (IMG) file and it will read "copied" then you paste into your posting here. Don't forget you can resize all pics for transfer inside "settings" of photobucket.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I can't post pics here brother. There are two small hex nuts on the plastic ring behind the obj ring. The plastic ring with nuts is super tight. It won't budge. Seems that the infinity ring is blocking me from ccw focusing the obj to clarity.

Need pictures to see your setup. There are a couple different ways these are configured. Need to see positioning of the rings.

What is the reason you can't post pictures? Can't take pictures, don't have a picture hosting website, don't know how?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Need pictures to see your setup. There are a couple different ways these are configured. Need to see positioning of the rings.

What is the reason you can't post pictures? Can't take pictures, don't have a picture hosting website, don't know how?

Usually on most sites I press the picture icon. It prompts me to select an image from my phone, my iPhone prompts me to select photo library, then I choose the image and press upload. When I do it here it tells me upload failed. Nccorry is going to post them for me.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Put your pictures on photobucket, it's free, then you can link them here.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes photobucket is preferred method for posting pics on all forums. When you use the method you listed it bogs down the forum.

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pics I got from Mr. Taco.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see it has a NCS sticker on it so I assume you got it from Aaron. I would contact him first and see what he wants you to do. May want you to send it back or may be able to walk you through it over the phone. I would do what he wants you to so that nothing happens to the warranty. Aaron is good peeps and will get your problem sorted out.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
is the lens cap off? does that need to be on even with it off?

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah Aaron knows. I'm sure we'll get it resolved. My original intent was to troubleshoot here and not have to bother him.

You can see the space between the infinity ring and housing. I'm not able to increase focus on the front lens. Can't I just get the small hex wrench and adjust the infinity ring towards housing and lock it back down?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
This is why I wanted to see the pictures, others can correct me if I'm wrong, but that ring behind your lens should be all the way against the housing and the reason I asked if it was loose.

Those set screws are tiny, most allen key sets do not have them, you'll have to dig to find them, mine didn't come with any, but I had some for other things that worked fine, mine came loose one time having the Dloc mount on and it turn loose, the set screws were not tight enough.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
is the lens cap off? does that need to be on even with it off?

no, doesn't matter if it is off when the unit is powered off and you an actually look through the PVS-14 during the day with the lens cap on with the unit on, there is a tiny hole in the lens cap..

but if one doesn't have an autogated unit, its best to keep the lens cap on always until ready to use so you don't smoke a tube...

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Like most tasks I'm sure it is "easy if you know how" ... just be careful and don't strip the screws with the wrong sized wrench. Jiggle it and see if it seems like it fits and turn slowly and if it slips stop. Not intending to "talk down" ... just speaking from experience ... I've messed up a few items using the wrong size wrench ... that ALMOST fit.