Finally got one to come out during daylight

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Since I built my long range bolt gun I have wanted a pig to come out in the daylight but have had no such luck. I woke up early this morning so decided to see if I couldn't change that. I got to the field about 45 mins before sunrise and spotted a small sounder at 800 yes with the W-1000 thermal. Had to make a hard decision, go get as many as I could with NV or wait a while and try to get one at range. I waited!! Using NODS I got to within what I though was about 400 yards and waited. I wanted to stay further away but from what I could tell the alpha sow was in the ballpark of 180 lbs and I didn't know how the Bergers bullet would do. The field has 4' square bales all in it so I used one and set up. When it was light enough to see them though my range finder I got 387 yards. I doped my Nightforce for 390 yards, took a deep breath and sent a 105gr Bergers VLD hunting round down range. It hit, she went down and then got up and stumbled about 15 yards where she folded up. It was great to finally get one at range and I was ok only getting one since she was the alpha sow.
DSC01209_zpse9eac86a.jpg

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice!! Pigs make for great target practice.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Congrats on the sow and daylight kill. Fun shooting long range. Most of my hunting here in New Mexico is long range, but I still prefer an AR. For deer this year it will be my 6mm BRX mostly, especially over 500 yards. I'm currently shooting 95gr Bergers at 3156 fps.

Or I may use my 270AR. Both are 20" guns, so easy to carry. My 270AR is shooting 130gr Ballistic Tips at 2830 fps.

What caliber is your gun? I'm guessing since you are shooting 105's that it is a 6mm, maybe a 6 Creedmoor possibly?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The tried and true .243 win. Pushes the 105's at 3175 FPS. It's a 1/4 MOA gun out to 750 yds and the best I have done(once or twice) at 1000 so far is 1/2 MOA.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good deal. Last 243 I had was an Ackley Improved, good gun. Have you tried any of the 105 Hybrids? Great for target shooting long range. Most of the guys at our precision rifle matches are shooting them from their 6 Creedmoors. I can however hold groups with most of the bolt guys. My most accurate AR is a .264 LBC with a 24" Satern barrel, best group so far is .18 MOA.

Glad you got out during the day. I know how fun it is shooting long range, probably more fun than shooting with the thermal at a group of hogs at night. So good thing you held off for daylight, even though I'm sure that was hard lol.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hit, good lookin' gun.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not tried them due to the VLD hunting bullets work. I want one bullet to do everything with so that's why I chose them. Plus at the time of load development the hybrids weren't available.

At 100 I have shot a best of .125 MOA group. My girlfriend shoots .250 MOA all day long at 100.

It was hard to hold off this morning but well worth it. Next one will be 500+ yds!!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I agree that having one bullet for everything is the best way to go. Plus one that shoots as well as your 105's. Gotta love it when you can just pull the trigger, even jerking a trigger, and they go in the same hole, that's the sign of one accurate gun.

You need a cameraman, or woman, I hope to get my deer hunt on camera this year, so will have to take someone along. We ride ATV's, get up on hill tops, glass, until we spot a good buck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shooting and excellent results!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job Eric! What twist does your .243 have?

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice write up! Awesome story.

You wanna push 1200 yards gotta place near Wichita Falls we can ding some gongs. Just gotta wait post-deer season.

Nothing like hearing that "ding."

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree and thanks for the invite. I have a private range close to me that is out to 1600 yds

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
COOL DEAL

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
are you sure it was daylight?

a pig, out in the open after the sun comes up, never seen that

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am sure it is theoretically possible and all. But I am going to check with Brian anyway.........

;)

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice. Just something about a long shot with a bolt gun !! You need a rail on that gun and then you can use the CNVD-LR and wack em at 500 or so at night,