Fewer Hogs Showing Up...

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have hit this property a few times now and a few with my buddy, Dave. Fewer hogs appear to be showing up and with taking out a pregnant sow, I expect even less will be showing up in the future.

Hog #3 seems to have been hit by the proverbial golden BB that brought it down initially. Based on listening to the shots and the impacts and misses, shot #5 (#4 on the runner) missed the runner and can be heard impacting, apparently on a hog off screen. Wild.

SheepdogM59

Pride, Integrity, Guts
If you’re talking about just lately we’ve been having the same problem on most of our fields.

What we think is with all the rain the food is in the treelines. No reason for the pigs to come out into open fields to feed right now. As the fields start to be planted the draw for them is too much and they will start coming back into the fields to feed.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job Brian, love the video! Any hogcropsy report?

So are ya saying they are staying more in the riverbottoms and back water areas enjoying the soft dirt to root up in or is there another reason they are staying in the timber?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I am saying 1) we are thinning the herd, and 2) they are coming to realize that the property is no longer safe. They aren't all gone and no doubt they will keep probing to see if it is safe.

I cut open the big sow in hopes of finding the bullet. No joy. The bullet entered mid body through the rib, smashing out a 2" section. It went through the gut, definitely the stomach, through the diaphragm, crossing over to destroy the right lung. the left lung was intact, but filled with blood. The heart was untouched. There was no exit and I didn't find the bullet. It must have made it into the neck. Death was apparently asphyxiation combined with exsanguination.

I didn't cut open the little pigs as the wounds were through and through and being in such close proximity, I had no way of knowing what shot did what damage. I found it troubling that the first runner was able to take two bullets that punched through without toppling over. She didn't make it far, however.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Some good shooting, and a nice, to-the-point, informative video!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice leading on the runners.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big sow on the first shot! Good hogs down!