Few more hogs down

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Used another 6.8 I built topped with the IR Hunter Mark II thermal. Was an interesting hunt. Took 4 hogs and lost another somehow. I added 5 hogs to the counter for 2016 kills as I let another guy use my gun one night and he took a 100 pound sow and a coyote. His first time to take a coyote and first time for a hog, so he was excited.

Pretty much everything summed up in the video.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video! good shooting!

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shots on those hogs Dave. Good/big sow too.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely done. Good editing too

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down! Nice gear and great idea on how to load hogs by yourself.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Some great stuff there. A few years ago a buddy shot a 200 plus pound boar just above the eyes as it was coming straight towards us with a 140 grain bullet from a .270. It dropped for just a second and jumped up running. We put 11 5.56 rounds into as it ran parallel to us. One of us put one them 5.56 rounds into the spine that dropped it. Upon looking we seen that the .270 round had put a huge gash in the pigs head but did not penetrate the skull. Don't know if the pig would have survived that hit or not but it certainly had enough to run.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
They're tough for sure, figuring I pulled the trigger on the head and it was walking at 50 yards, thought I would have hit right behind the ear. But, with a 100 yard zero, might have hit above the spine and blew through.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great hunt and video Dave! You sure are a tough son of a gun getting after them again and again after falling. You don't let your physical challenges slow you down a bit. Good on you.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They're tough for sure, figuring I pulled the trigger on the head and it was walking at 50 yards, thought I would have hit right behind the ear. But, with a 100 yard zero, might have hit above the spine and blew through.
You can diffidently see the black puff/spay on the video. I've seen that on several of my video's and I know it's a blood spray from the bullet impact. Most likely the pass thru.

edit: after looking again, it appears you're in white hot. So, I'm guessing thats dirt/dust flying off the pig when you hit it.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Dave, Please be careful out there. Looks like in the first one you had a heck of a CS going on for a while!!!! YIPPPEEE!!! Nice video and I would bet that sow has a heck of a headache and is probably dead by now. Nice shooting. Be safe,,,,,er!! BANG BANG!!

Looks like the bullet went through the nose area (maybe) and got redirected to the dirt??:) It looked cool!!!:) And flung her around!

Last edited:

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome stuff Dave way to get after them! Very nice video and great shooting, I think you might have hit that first long running shot.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Looks like the bullet went through the nose area (maybe) and got redirected to the dirt??:) It looked cool!!!:) And flung her around!

Watching on the computer in slow motion, definitely pulled trigger when center of head and figure there is going to be an impact a bit further back because the hog was moving, but who knows, looked all over for it.

Couldn't believe I got lost. There was about a 2/3 moon, I could without lights somewhat. But somehow I ended up in a different ravine. After an hour I climbed a hill shined light all around and an Ranger pretty far off. Even after liking during the day, just have no idea how I got lost.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Awesome stuff Dave way to get after them! Very nice video and great shooting, I think you might have hit that first long running shot.

Possibly Jake. It sounds like it, but you can see dirt flying, could have come off a hog, but I didn't see any slow down.

When I went after those hogs I didn't have time to adjust video settings, so video wasn't quite as good. I learned one thing, keep a set of shooting sticks in the Ranger, helps me walk and shoot. I'm not a very good offhand shooter anymore.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooting sticks do make a real difference. It is amazing how helpful they can be when you have them. I am not a particularly good offhand shooter anymore either. Oh wait, I don't think I really ever was. So without them, anything over 60-75 yard gets real iffy when I have been stalking.

Last edited: