Elbow Shot Boar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, I suffered TLM's problem of the SD card popping out on my MDVR, so no video, just the story.

100_2031reduced.jpg

Got a chance to hunt TBR again. Mr. TBR said that Mrs. TBR had checked one camera and they had a sounder coming, but the date was off and so no telling when it had last come, but it was recent. This was to a feeder that is not my normal hunting spot, so I thought I would dump a bunch of extra corn on the ground at that feeder and sit in my normal spot and occasionally stalk back to check on it, maybe once an hour or so. It is a ritual I have done in the past. I figured I would start about 10:00.

At 9:14, Mr. TBR called me. He never calls me when I am in the stand. He will text me. Once he sent me a text to let me know that tornadoes were in the area, so I was surprised when he called. It had to be an emergency. He said there was a whole bunch of hogs at the feeder {where I had dumped extra corn} and did I want to come shoot them? I suggested that he do it and he pointed out that his Photon NV was only on a .223 and he was over 200 yards from the feeder on his front porch. Well cool, I am up for shooting hogs!

It took me about 3 minutes to climb out of my stand and go about 200 yards to where I could see the feeder in question. This is the same feeder where I have encountered hogs at the end of my hunts and is located on the back side of a dam that I have to cross to get back to my truck to go home. Along the way, I encountered a doe that was apparently fleeing the hogs. We scared the hell out of each other and she opted to duck down into the creek bottom.

As I got up on the dam, I saw that several hogs were visible. Mr. TBR had not told me how many there were and I saw about 6, a couple of which were on top of the other end of the dam. There was a partial moon and I was pretty exposed, so I stopped where I was, set up on the tripod trigger sticks, tried to calm down, and searched for a target.

I spotted what I thought was an observant sow (turned out to be a boar) that seemed to be looking at me, but then turned broadside. I took the safety off, took out the slack in the trigger, and fired the first shot...heard the THWACK and the hog took off.

The few hogs I could see, quickly disappeared into vegetation. Then I heard a boom from up at the house. Mr. TBR was shooting as well. During the time, some groups of pigs were running from behind the dam, into my view and then disappearing into vegetation. I watched dumbstruck as the first group went by, but picked a hog in the second group and fired. I scanned for more targets and was about to fire again when Mr. TBR shot and a heard the reverse THWACK BOOM as I was closer to the hog than to Mr. TBR and the impact sound reached me first. I picked up a hog at the feeder area and fired. Then spotted two more way out down the car trail and fired at the trailing hog as the two disappeared into the brush.

Mr. TBR reported to me that he heard a contact THWACK for each of my shots. I haven't a clue, knowing only that I knew I hit the first one and heard him hit one.

Using Google Earth to plot the shots, my first and third shots were at about 135 yards. The second shot was 160 and the fourth was about 240. I don't know about Mr. TBR's first shot, but his second shot was right at 200 yards.

Now the bad news. Only one hog was recovered. The search will continue in the morning, but most of the hogs disappeared into creek bottoms and briar patches that surround the hay field where the feeder was located. My first hog managed to go over 75 yards after being shot in the elbow. The shot broke the humerus just above the distal end at the elbow. What is interesting is that this wound bled almost nothing and the part of the limb that was hit would normally be below the hog when standing and so the shot should have passed through. Instead, the shot traveled in a manner that it managed to enter the chest cavity and bore a teaspoon bowl size and shape hole right through the heart. So the bullet traveled up the arm instead of passing through the arm. The heart was destroyed as were the ribs that got in the way. The bullet did not overpenetrate, but it wasn't found either. I am fairly certain it shattered while going through the humerus.

Mr. TBR and I had a pretty good laugh about shot placement. The elbow generally is not a good place to hit a hog, but this time, it was outstanding. Even better was that it did not mess up the backstraps that will be consumed for Labor Day.

The hog tipped the scale at 170 lbs, was a younger boar, and appeared to be quite healthy.

Hopefully, we will find more dead hogs later this morning. They only ran in 3 different directions.

Armasight Zeus 3x 640
6.5 Grendel
Hornady 123 gr. SST
~135 yards
170 lb. Boar
Primus tripod Trigger Sticks.

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice. Glad u got into em

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Try to keep up Brian, we need video or live feeds, I got no call...Good job nonetheless!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
One hog is better than none. Hopefully you'll find more in the morning and be able to tell what happened during the firefight lol.

As for the card popping out, don't like the sound of that, not sure there is a fix either, but have you wonder why? Is it when shooting?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know what ya'll need over there, a dedicated cameraman to flip between you..I volunteer! I think one of the hardest things to do is self film your hunts and especially at night!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave, if you put pressure on the back of the case where the card is, it will pop out. It is a spring loaded SD slot where you press the card in and it locks and if you press the card in again it pops out. I am sure I bumped it or squeezed it and it popped out and I didn't know. Tyler at UNV told me that if that happens, the red light should blink. Maybe so, but I don't have a red light inside my scope. I spot hogs, I flip the switch and expect to be recording. I don't stop and check blinky lights.

I think there are a couple of fixes. One is to cut a slot in the leatherette case so as to allow the card to be inserted any removed without taking the recorder from the case. You can then check the condition of the card without removing it from the case because you will be able to feel if it is in position. The other is to put some bumper or guard there that would not allow the card to be depressed. I am not sure how to do that.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have an idea that should resolve the problem, let me work on it.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You do that. I will try cutting a window in the case and see if that is useful. I can always patch it with duct tape later if it is a fail. One way or another, we can get something worked out on this.

...and my daughter just brought me a small plate of hog cookies!

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think Angry Bird is getting even for being left out. Long live the fresh hog cookies.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Been thinking about this, first thought some rubber tape on the end about 1/8" thick with an opening would work well but then realized, or I believe, the microphone is right below and left of the SD card slot, either that or the tiny hole on the other end. But because the SD slot is so close to the edge of the DVR, wouldn't be a good option.

Then I thought about a piece of Kydex plastic with a slot cut out and stuff in the case would be good, but don't like the idea of trying to keep it in place.

So then, I had another thought, will be a couple hours and I'll be done and post up pictures.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Master builder Dave hard at it!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Here is what I come up with, when looking at the manual for the UNV MDVR, the mic is the tiny hole opposite the end with the SD card....

This is a Quick Release lever base, all aluminum other than the lever bolt, pin and set screw adjuster. The mount for the MDVR is aluminum and it bolts to the base, so realistically you can reverse it 180 degrees if you want. Of course you can also flip the mount over so the MDVR or whatever you mount to it faces down.

I bent a 90 degree angle on the aluminum, facing the front of the gun. The whole base has velco including the forward part to keep you from popping out the SD card. There is no way you can bump the MDVR to make the SD pop out.

The forward part I machined a slot in it, for two reasons. One is if you decide to reverse the MDVR and plug the cable in the other end, which technically it would be better to reverse the base also, that way the mic is not covered by the case, and secondly for a mic opening is you decided to mount it that way.

Since this is my prototype, I would expand the slot I machined and make it wider so you can plug in the video cable through the slot, that was my intention when I started, but due to the Velcro it made the video in connection in the wrong place for an easy plug in, a simple correction on the milling machine.

Lastly, the base and mount are finished in Black Cerakote bake on finish. The lever and lever side clamp are finished in the black they way they came. Also, when I built these mounts, I angle them up towards the top of the handguard or top of gun, that way they are more out of the way and less likely to knock off the mount. This Velcro is tough, would take one hard impact to knock it free.

157207285.jpg

157207286.jpg

157207287.jpg

157207288.jpg

157207290.jpg

Sorry Brian, didn't want to distract the thread, but you are my field tester lol.

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We have got some talented people on this forum! That looks really neat.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like a professional and marketable product, great job Dave.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn, lookin' good there Dave !

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I'll probably change the opening and move the mount a little higher

So next time we won't miss out on video lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have so much Dave could get done for me in his Laboratory!