Double Boars

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Got a hog at the start of the hunt long before I got to the stand and got a hog on the way back to the truck. In the mean time, I contacted the wife and had her grab some cookies at the store (I knew she was shopping). I will be cooking cookies some 6:30 am.

Both hogs were a surprise encounter and that really made things fun.

Somebody somewhere had asked me about daylight use of the thermal scope and night use. This video has both. Things aren't all that different in the grand scheme. Thermal does well so long as it isn't blazing hot.

The first hog was hit with a quartering away shot and the bullet actually got trapped in the neck under the skin just behind the ear. I cut it out and it is my first recovered bullet in the field!

On the second hog, there was no exit either, but I wasn't going to dig around for it. As you will see in the video, it glows white (cold) quite a bit on its right side. It had been to a mud bath before dinner and had wet mud on that side of it.

Both hogs were a surprise and both hogs ended up DRT, which was nice.

TLM, I REALLY like my Primos Tripod trigger sticks. You turned me on to these back when we did the thermal scope review. I used them for both shots and they continue to be a much more stable platform than just bipod shooting sticks. Maybe I just suck and can't use bipod shooting sticks, but by golly, tripod shooting sticks work great for me.

Hey! It looks like I might get more than 2 hours sleep tonight before having to get up and make cookies.

Oh, and Frank, Angry Bird had to do the photos again. He was present, but working.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
way to go brian, good job

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good shooting Brian. Nice to catch one out there in the day. Thermal looks as good during the day.

As for the trigger sticks, don't smack a rattlesnake with them like I did, they break easy.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck you have a hog hunting bonanza it seems and you seem to do your part on control of the swine. Easy access and close. Good going as usual, go get more! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting there Brian!! Got to give AB credit in the video for taking the pics! Well done.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to anchor 'em down B ! Show us that bullet too. Congrats Kemosabe.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Brian!

And Dave they are shooting sticks not assault sticks ha!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave, install bang sticks on the end for snakes!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think if you check BATFE's website, if you do put a trigger on sticks, they are considered an assault weapon. Now I may be misreading that due to my lack of sleep, but that is my take.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
no trigger on a bang stick, pull the pin and apply pressure to the head...LOL

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
just don't leave them out in the rain

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ratdog68, here is the bullet. I don't have a proper scale to tell you how much of the original weight that was maintained, but I am confident there is a goodly amount of loss.

20141002_184316reduced.jpg

20141002_184600reduced.jpg

As you can see, the Hornady SST is NOT a bonded bullet. Once I got most of the dried blood off, the lead fell out of the jacket.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Brian, that is about what I would expect from a SST rd.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you Brian. Did its job, for certain.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, I know that when they hit bone, they really come apart and I am lucky to even find the jacket pieces, much less bits of lead. USUALLY, they over penetrate, but on the few we have butchered where they didn't, they had fragmented into oblivion. So I was surprised to find this one intact as it was.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we can weigh it in Caldwell @ the meet & greet

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
very cool video btw

I like that reticle

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will try to remember it for the M&G. I don't reload and so don't have a fine enough scale to get an accurate weight on it.

I like the reticle as well because it doesn't busy up the screen too much. The scope has other reticles with lines, but some of the lines tend to disappear in the video out to the recorder. What you see in the scope looks better than what you get on the recorder and that is annoying for the video. This happens with some other brands as well, such as the ATNs, I have noticed. However, the dot reticle shows up fine and doesn't cover too much of the target. I think it makes for a better image, though it isn't quite as easy to see quickly (because of the small size) as bigger reticles.