Creedmoor up close

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Got off work last night and decided to hit the fields. I pulled into the gate at 0105 and at 0230 i was back on the road home. I pulled got all my junk ready checked my scope and took off on the killing wagon. About 200 yards into the first south field i seen to pigs messing around. They were headed in the direction of the Big hole in the dividing fence into the north field. I decided these were the ones that were going to die. I took off checking their movement as I went along. I got to the point where I thought I should be able to see them but couldnt. So I spent the next 5 minutes creeping 10 feet at a time. When the popped up I to my surprise they were only 50 yards and moving at a good pace. I checked my scope turned on the UNV DVR and by the time I got back on them they were more like 15 yards. I put the crosshairs on the first ones dome piece and said night night. no good footage of them moving or messing around. it was literally Turn on dvr and shoot. But a kill shot none the less.

killin wagon. going to get some mods in the future just trying to figure out what we want.

[video:youtube]

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is your gun jamming? LOL good job.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did not stand a chance! Bang flop!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
bolt gun, think I mentioned to him on THF that he needed an AR lol...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He has AR's but prefers bolt guns for some reason. Must be into self torture lol! :p

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
looking forward to more videos

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah we added the golf cart this year. Walking worked great but..... You were walking with a lot ground to cover. I know I couldn't have made it on these on foot when I did. I would have had to get ahead of them and bushwhack em at the tank.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Hey 25-06 -

I played a PC video game in the 90's - Unreal Tournament was the name of the game but anyways players were rewarded with a "HEADSHOT" sound bite for fragging others with a shot to the dome.

This video qualifies for the sound bite:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Future mods ....?..... paint it black. Everything should be black. I even used some black material(easily removable)to cover my headlights because they seemed to reflect any ambient light including even the slightest moonlight. I covered my gauges/indicators(emerg brake and battery power remaining)with a black rubber flap so they would not glow at night. They were bright enough to cause night blindness.

I have added a small red light that is close to the ground to use to drive by if necessary. I only use it on a rough spot in the roadway or if the road is grassy and not sandy.

Step back and take a look at the buggy. Repeating ...... EVERYTHING should be black. It took me about 6 or 8 trips out to finalize the buggy for dark night/thermal hunting. Good Hunting --- pruhdlr

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Lol we hunt in the wheat so white isn't that bad. We are probably going to go with a od green and coyote tan pattern over the whole thing. I do agree with the all black thing as far looking cool and being Murdered out! Functionally there are better colors. I personally never wear camo at night just wear regular clothes shorts and t shirt. But I ain't normal either. :confused:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hogs are color blind and only see texture changes up close, the camo and black are for the hunter not the animal...now the lights and reflections are something different...just rinoline everything!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Future mods ....?..... paint it black. Everything should be black. I even used some black material(easily removable)to cover my headlights because they seemed to reflect any ambient light including even the slightest moonlight. I covered my gauges/indicators(emerg brake and battery power remaining)with a black rubber flap so they would not glow at night. They were bright enough to cause night blindness.

I have added a small red light that is close to the ground to use to drive by if necessary. I only use it on a rough spot in the roadway or if the road is grassy and not sandy.

Step back and take a look at the buggy. Repeating ...... EVERYTHING should be black. It took me about 6 or 8 trips out to finalize the buggy for dark night/thermal hunting. Good Hunting --- pruhdlr
This is what we thought at first also. If you are hunting from inside a blind it works great.

If however you move around it is very easy to spot in fields or along tree lines due to the availability of contrast from low light levels on surrounding vegetation.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hogs are color blind and only see texture changes up close, the camo and black are for the hunter not the animal...now the lights and reflections are something different...just rinoline everything!

Colorblind is a misnomer. Hogs see color. What hogs do not see well, like deer, is the red end of the spectrum. Basically, they are dichromats instead of trichromats. I can't recall, but I believe they have deuteranopia and not protanopia, but they are fairly close in terms of not seeing red, but the latter sees green as more yellow than beige like the former.
http://www.color-blindness.com/deuteranopia-red-green-color-blindness/
http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/
http://www.color-blindness.com/protanopia-red-green-color-blindness/

Hogs do see shapes and patterns such as outlines, like many other animals. So anything that helps break up your outside (camo patterns) or blend with your background is beneficial to not being noticed visually.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Colorblind is a misnomer. Hogs see color. What hogs do not see well, like deer, is the red end of the spectrum. Basically, they are dichromats instead of trichromats. I can't recall, but I believe they have deuteranopia and not protanopia, but they are fairly close in terms of not seeing red, but the latter sees green as more yellow than beige like the former.
http://www.color-blindness.com/deuteranopia-red-green-color-blindness/
http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/
http://www.color-blindness.com/protanopia-red-green-color-blindness/

Hogs do see shapes and patterns such as outlines, like many other animals. So anything that helps break up your outside (camo patterns) or blend with your background is beneficial to not being noticed visually.
So what you are saying Doc is the hogs will see reds as shades of black? I know dark black is not really a good night time cammo because things are not really black at night. Military training and practical experience teaches you to use your peripheral vision to pick up dark moving objects at night. Regular cammo patterns inherently work better at night.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, more like shades of red will be seen as shades of grey.

Darks are better than lights at night and camo is better than solids...as a general rule, but it all depends on your environment. Solid black or dark brown stands quite well in a golden wheat field at night where the golden wheat is reflecting moon or starlight.

Last edited: