Couple of boars

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
For he most part it was a slow week. Hogs all over the camera's, but just not coming in where I was sitting. I had the wind right, but on some of the locations they can come in from 360 degrees.

I did connect on a couple of boars. One night in the blind I was sitting I spotting a large hog, assuming a boar, judging by the thermal it had to be close to a 300 pound hog, by the time I got the Armasight Zeus on him he had moved in to the thicker brush and I couldn't get off a shot. I assumed it would come to the feeder, but it never did. About an hour and a half later this 176 pound boar came in to the feeder. One shot from the 12.5" 6.8 shooting 120gr SST handloads and it was down:

large.jpg

On another night I was sitting in really open country with a bunch of large ravines with a feeder near the bottom of one. I thought I would see anything approaching from a long ways out, wrong. As Brian stated to me, they 'teleport' to the feeder lol. Anyways, looked through the Thermal-Eye monocular and see a hog at the feeder, by the time I got the gun up it was already walking away and about to disappear, apparently there wasn't any more corn on the ground. I had to hurry to make the shot, didn't have time to flip on the DVR to record the action.

Boar weighed 115 pounds:

157941795.jpg

Normally I use my Otter Super Express ATV trailer to load the hogs as it has a tilt bed, but after I located the hog which was about 20 yards away from where I shot him, I decided to load him on the ATV, well not the conventional way, which would be on the rack, but stuffed him on the footwell, worked pretty good lol.

157941793.jpg

Was still a good time. I did take a couple coyotes out in the field near camp one morning with the Zeus. I also had a whole group of hogs behind camp one morning. I tried to get in on them with the thermal scope and they went in to some Johnson grass over 6' tall, I went back to camp and grabbed a .223 Wylde with a red dot scope as trying to use a 5x thermal scope at possible very short distances wouldn't be good. They bedded in the grass and there was no way I was going in after them lol.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, Like watching the Curly Shuffle in the morn!! Thanks for posting the porkers!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Dave, very clear video...good story and pics, Thanks!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet there are not many live videos of a coyotes behavior like that...Make that part into a separate offering and it may go viral among the hunting communities!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shot Dave, anchored him well.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Excellent dirt dance. How has the Zeus been working for you. I didn't have good luck with ATN and was eyeballing Armasight.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love that picture of him hanging makes him look much bigger!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot . He didn't so the dirt dance for long. And that pic of the hog on the 4 wheeler is awesome. More than 1 way to skin a cat!! Haha great job

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Excellent dirt dance. How has the Zeus been working for you. I didn't have good luck with ATN and was eyeballing Armasight.

It's been working good. Think problems with ATN's customer service is their biggest downfall. Have you received a return authorization from ATN? How has your dealings with them been so far?

The scopes use the same FLIR Tau 2 core, but how they are configured physically are different. I would like to see these scopes firmware upgradeable online by the users. I believe armasight said they were eventually going to do that. Hardware faults of course have to be sent back in.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
It's been working good. Think problems with ATN's customer service is their biggest downfall. Have you received a return authorization from ATN? How has your dealings with them been so far?

The scopes use the same FLIR Tau 2 core, but how they are configured physically are different. I would like to see these scopes firmware upgradeable online by the users. I believe armasight said they were eventually going to do that. Hardware faults of course have to be sent back in.
The ATN scope was just a rental. Good to know that the core is the same between armasight and ATN because I thought the actual clarity of the ATN scope was awesome. The rental was a 640, the Zeus I was looking at was the 336, I am hoping not too big a drop off in clarity. Thanks for the help.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Mine is a 336. See what Aaron can get for you.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Love that picture of him hanging makes him look much bigger!

I was only standing a short distance behind the boar, but you're right, been saying it all along, can never tell from pictures the size of hogs, well in many pictures, some are obvious that the person is full of it.

In this case, I had to swing the hog around a bit to get it in place as it wanted to rotate back, at the same time I'm balancing myself because of my legs and my MS. Takes me a long time to get the hams and backstraps off a hog. Mostly because of balance and also not having feeling in my right hand and motor function problems, I don't want to cut myself, especially if I'm out there by myself. Heck of a lot easier doing with two people, just stand clear when I have a knife in my hands lol.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shooting Dave! Loved the dirt dance. The video is very clear.