Colorado Elk Hunt

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well, we made it from south Texas to the west side of Denver in one day. Now that's a long day of driving!

Season starts in a few days and we just got a tip on where the elk are. We might be hunting up by Meeker instead of rifle/glenwood area.

Pictures!

Speed goat just south of Raton pass

Mountains in Colorado

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My first deer hunt and deer was in the meeker/rifle area. A few years ago. Wish I was with you guys now.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AAAHHHH...Elk Season!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome pics and good luck!!

Last edited:

znztivguy

LSB Member
Clear skies....clean air.....

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love western slopes in Colorado, the Montrose area, the red rock formations.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We've been hunting some private property where the landowner had some elk tearing up some alfalfa fields. We were hoping for something easy but it turns out the elk left shortly before season began. We know they will be back, just not sure when. We are going to try to fill a cow tag for the next couple days near glenwood.

Been lots of mule deer everywhere. We've seen at least 100 or so.

Here are some photos of the area we've been around the past 2 days...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice elk in that last Pic!

znztivguy

LSB Member
So beautiful I want to cry....
Unfortunately....live in KALI...outnumbered and outvoted in plans to move elsewhere. Good food and easy access to the beach, good schools and culture out weight all us...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those elk may not return to that field for some time. I would bow hunt that kind of country and watch the elk and deer do the same thing day after day during archery season. As soon as the vehicle traffic increased with rifle season and scouting on the roads they would slowly disappear into the deepest parts of the forest. I would hear guys say there are no elk in the place but you had to go deeper to get to them and most were not willing to do that. Good luck! Looks like fun.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those elk may not return to that field for some time. I would bow hunt that kind of country and watch the elk and deer do the same thing day after day during archery season. As soon as the vehicle traffic increased with rifle season and scouting on the roads they would slowly disappear into the deepest parts of the forest. I would hear guys say there are no elk in the place but you had to go deeper to get to them and most were not willing to do that. Good luck! Looks like fun.
Absolutely agreed......

I lived in Glenwood Springs for a while and every season they'd head deep into the hills. You could find them, but you were going to be in for some hiking! About the time the season was over, they'd be back wandering the neighborhood streets again........

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB

We talked to some locals including the hay farmer leasing the property and they told us the elk usually stay in the river bottoms and only go about half way up the mountains. Nothing but BLM land on top and on the other side. We drove up and there are at least 7 camps up there. We are hoping they push the elk down to us.

Last edited:

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Absolutely agreed......

I lived in Glenwood Springs for a while and every season they'd head deep into the hills. You could find them, but you were going to be in for some hiking! About the time the season was over, they'd be back wandering the neighborhood streets again........

Yup that's what I've heard. We hiked in at least an hour after driving in quite a ways. Where we went we barely saw any other hunters. It's just hard hunting the dark timber areas. Shots are real close, but you have to be QUICK.

Edit...
Hopefully we will get a call that the elk have come back near Meeker so we can go back to fill our tags. This hiking in the "flat tops" is rough!

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It will get even more fun with a foot of snow.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Kill as many elk as you can while you are young. Once you get to my age, the memory of the hunt is enough to get me tired.
A buddy back in college in CO and all the guys in his family used to go elk hunting every year. At the end of the season I was lucky enough to get invited to the all you can eat elk bbq....... ooohhh baby that was good times......

Homer%20Drooling.png