Cleaning frequency on suppressed AR

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How has using a suppressor changed the frequency of your AR cleaning? Mine has increased a bunch so rounds will both chamber and eject. Thanks! Jack

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With direct impingement AR'S it gets things dirty pretty fast even down into the magazines. The piston AR'S do much better but the will all get dirty faster with a can on.

chthump

LSB Member
I've got one AR,(suppressed) I really need to clean it about every 3 mags (90 rounds) if I want it to be reliable, seems to start jamming around 150 round +- 30 or so. The newer AR (new to me), I don't clean near as much , seems to go twice as long as the older AR, there both gas blow back.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
are you running it wet?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will clean my bolt carriers around every 200 rounds or so. The bore gets cleaned when accuracy starts to fall off.

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
are you running it wet?
Not dripping wet, but lubricated - not dry. Using slip 2000 (I think that's what it's called). I put about 20 rounds through it when I first got the can. Smoke everywhere (it was a little wet then), cleaned everything, shot a corn thief then about a week later shot another - case was stuck. Did get it out the next day, cleaned and polished the chamber a bit and have not tried it again. Also emptied the mag and cleaned all the rounds.

Last edited:

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With direct impingement AR'S it gets things dirty pretty fast even down into the magazines. The piston AR'S do much better but the will all get dirty faster with a can on.
All my rifles DI or piston get dirty faster due to suppresor just the way it is. The piston less but still gets mags dirty. Worth the hearing thing. If you shoot in a closed space even suppressed it is still pretty loud. Was working on my Sig 556 pistol conversion to SBR was shooting out of garage it was way loud.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not dripping wet, but lubricated - not dry. Using slip 2000 (I think that's what it's called). I put about 20 rounds through it when I first got the can. Smoke everywhere (it was a little wet then), cleaned everything, shot a corn thief then about a week later shot another - case was stuck. Did get it out the next day, cleaned and polished the chamber a bit and have not tried it again.
Just my 2 cents shooting wet using wire pulling gel it is quieter but not for long and still dirty.

chthump

LSB Member
Reddog, are you talking about the AR or the suppressor, (running wet). Just heard of some using a graphite type lube with there are and some running suppressors wet.

chthump

LSB Member
Reddog, are you talking about the AR or the suppressor, (running wet). Just heard of some using a graphite type lube with there AR and some running suppressors wet. (sorry about the re-post)