Cheapest Deer Corn Found

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is a new Buckees store on 290 in Waller Texas that is selling their deer corn for $7/50lb bags. This is the cheapest I have found around here for clean deer corn. Just a heads up for anyone who may be looking.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea but you spend all your savings on jerky and yummy stuff!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a good price, about the same as bulk here.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I make my own jerky and always have alot of it, saves tons of money...problem is I am always giving it away! I guess I need to post up my recipes for you guys and hunting season.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Academy had their 40 pound bags on sale for 6.86 last week.
It was 8.50 to 9.00 per 40 pound bag last season.
Picked up all I can afford as it's generally good clean corn.

Heard HEB was selling Mummies Apple Corn for around 8.00 for full 50 pound bag but the super HEBs in Bastrop or Lockhart didn't have any - or they hid it so I couldn't find it...LOL!!
Love sticking my nose in a freshly opened bag of that stuff!!!

Just check the weight on the bags before you buy or you may not be getting as good a deal as you think.
Tractor Supply has 37.5 pound bags.....LOL!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am planting an acre of corn on our lease this year...great idea

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just get a tax id # and chalk it up as trapping expenses and write it off. I should get 501c non-profit status. Definitely lose money doing this.
I heard the Odumbo admin. just allocated 24 million for the eradication of wild hogs, I could use a bit of that to boot.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just can't depend on rain. I might do some with t-tape, should work. Does anybody use whole ears for baiting their hogs? I saw Andre Lopes doing that in one of his pics. If I grow it I won't have any way to get the kernels off of the cob.

Last edited:

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just get a tax id # and chalk it up as trapping expenses and write it off. I should get 501c non-profit status. Definitely lose money doing this.
I heard the Odumbo admin. just allocated 24 million for the eradication of wild hogs, I could use a bit of that to boot.
What are they thinking. Farmers and ranchers make too much money selling hog hunts to want to eradicate their hogs. If the money is set aside for bounty's on hogs they will just cull the herds and maintain breeding stock for future revenues.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah the corn we grow on the lease unless fenced gets eaten as it grows, the survivors are left on the stalks, the hogs and deer are quite capable of removing the cobs...if any are left I remove them by hand or brush hog a row at a time and leave it there for bait.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What are they thinking. Farmers and ranchers make too much money selling hog hunts to want to eradicate their hogs. If the money is set aside for bounty's on hogs they will just cull the herds and maintain breeding stock for future revenues.
Yea, I did a little research to find out where the money is going but there really doesn't seem to be any. Probably going into someones account and back out to fund something else. Besides 24 mil. for the entire country seems a bit weak. Could be a gov't trapper I suppose. Trap some politicians maybe.

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The problem with corn on the cob is critters grab it and go hide in the brush to eat it.
You can soak whole ears in diesel and the cob will soak it up.
This will keep everything but the pigs off it for a while.
Even after a few rains, the cobs will hold enough diesel to keep other critters away.
Soured corn on the

The best ways to bring in or keep them around:
1. A timed feeder system
To attempt to "train" them....good luck with that since they roam and may not be back for 3 to 10 days, if ever.
After the feeder goes off and sometimes before, you can see an assortment of wildlife come grab the corn.
At my feeders, I have watched lots of wildlife come and go and everything but a pig gets to walk.
I do have to exercise squirrel and coon control sometimes though.

2. Water
In the summer, and more so like it is here in CenTex right now, the pigs are going to water.
Watching/Stalking during the day is simply miserable!
Watching at night is more tolerable and usually yields the big pigs that don't move during the day.
If it has been raining much, look elsewhere as there will be puddles and mudholes enough to keep a pig happy!

3. A Feral Crack Pipe
A good pig pipe will keep pigs so occupied, they sometimes forget the rest of the world.
When used with a timed feeder, this can be a nice combo: timer to bring them in, pig pipe to keep them there while you pick out the alphas.
I started with a 5" long piece of sch 40 PVC with 4 each 1/2" holes but have since backed off to one single 1/2" hole to make the corn last longer and keep them occupied!
Using soured corn is a strong incentive to roll it around!
Lots of coons or squirrels can be dissuaded with diesel soaked corn.
Use only corn in a pig pipe, pellets will get damp, swell up and not work as well.

4. A post hole about 2 feet deep with about the bottom 18" full of sour corn
This is a tried and true method to keep them busy for a while also.
It will make for a nasty hole as they go crazy trying to get the corn out!

The post hole seems to work better for a single pig where as a pig pipe seems to be a team effort when a sounder comes in.

5. Food plot
Works well and if you use game cameras, you can sorta pattern them but in our area, it's either feast of famine so we haven't had good luck with them on ferals.
They do support the deer and turkeys quite a bit.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The cob corn I put in a 55 gallon roll barrel, they break it off when rolling the barrel and it continues to give off scent...That way they cannot run off w your cob corn.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My trail camera tells me I should go on the days I don't go and stay home on the days I do go. ?!