Breaking Tools Sucks

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Milwaukee-Red-Helix-twist-drill-bits.jpg

Using one of these (1/2") bits today, in an impact driver. Drilling through a layer of steel, wood, steel, and then a 2x4 stud. Marrying some brackets to a framed pony wall in a Master Bedroom. The bit bound, the shank snapped where it narrows and seats in the holder. Needless to say, a bit of torque going on suddenly. No damage to me, other than a little sore (muscles) in my arm/hand. The worst part of it is... now I have to try and coax the remainder of the shank from my impact driver, and find a replacement bit (which I borrowed).

Checked the bit's usefulness by chucking it into my drill... no love, the rest of the shank bent, and it's displaying the wobble of death pretty bad.

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-2_18-21-53.png
    upload_2016-11-2_18-21-53.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 10

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sucks. 1/2" TiNitride hex shank bit probably isn't cheap either.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not too worried about the price of the bit. Getting the residual of the old one OUT of my tool, and being w/o use of the bit is a bigger pain. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well... this is gonna be fun. 10 rare earth magnets behind a cut-off nail wasn't enough to coax the piece out. I next Super Glued the nail (cut flat to provide more surface area) to the piece. I was pleasantly surprised with how much force it took to break the bond of the glue... but, no joy. I think the hex piece is also torqued, jamming it in place. Sigh... I'll deal with it later, can't be w/o my impact driver... guess I'll buy another one tomorrow.

When I do eventually get it freed up, I'll have a spare driver to use at the house.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My drill driver (Dewalt) gets stuck if I have been using it in one direction for a while. I just revers it for a second and it freees it up. Try gluing the nail back on and reverse it with just enough pressure on the nail to hopefully get it to impact once or twice. Then try to remove the hex piece.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My drill driver (Dewalt) gets stuck if I have been using it in one direction for a while. I just revers it for a second and it freees it up. Try gluing the nail back on and reverse it with just enough pressure on the nail to hopefully get it to impact once or twice. Then try to remove the hex piece.
Already been down that path. The piece move freely fore/aft, it just won't fully disengage to pull free.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Use your new drill to drill a hole in it. Use an easy out or keep drilling bigger until it becomes weak/thin. ( probably hard steel tho )

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, my next plan of attack is to drill it, tap a 6-32 thread into it and locktite a screw into it. That should git-er-done. Pro'bly need to vise it, drill press, SHARP bit, cutting oil and patience. Breaking drills and taps REALLY SUX. LOL

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I broke 2 bits this morning already. Of course I broke my hammer handle and broke 1 spade bit drilling it out of the head then a drill bit finishing it. Not the first ones this week. I break a lot of stuff.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just leave the broken bit in place and drill another hole below it.
Uhhhh.... no. The issue isn't a broken bit in the bracket/wood. The problem is the tail shaft of the bit broke inside the tool and won't eject from the bit holder.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lets see, yep, jamming I understand that too!

I told y'all jamming causes high blood pressure, foul language, gas, belching, anxiety, gongerriaa, claps, crabs, jock itch...............

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lets see, yep, jamming I understand that too!

I told y'all jamming causes high blood pressure, foul language, gas, belching, anxiety, gongerriaa, claps, crabs, jock itch...............
On a positive note, it promotes an increased intake of cold adult beverages.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Drilled it, tapped it (had to finesse things a bit though). Turning the tap was spinning the tool... so, I GENTLY turned the tool on to resist the force of the tap turning. POP!!! Stub removed and tool back in use once again!!

ImpactFix_zps4yu7illk.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Stubborn little bugger. Glad you are back in business again. That should help you save up for that trip down to God's country for some pig killin'.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh... I have plenty of miles saved up to cash in for the airfare... these days, it's getting time off which is the challenge!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!