bloodied up some toads

D

djones

we had a ‘special request’ job to do on a wheat field full of hogs, and would normally have passed on a single spotted along the way. however, my zeus had just returned from the shop and needed to re-prove itself before going into battle. this provided the perfect field test.

the extra magnification of the zeus throws me off a little after using the reapir, and we were farther away than i thought. fortunately, he had a lot of ground to cover before reaching the land of the free.

IMG_1723_zpse1tsdbgk.jpg

D

djones

on to the wheat field. plenty of hogs there for sure. when the wheat is that tall, the thermal is the only way to even catch a glimpse of the hogs and that’s usually only the biggest ones or chance sightings while they’re running.

our tactic was to let them hear and wind us, then race around to the other side and catch them trying to make their great escape. some refused to leave the field and others banded together in their mass exodus. herding and cutting them off comes first, so video is limited. couldn't get to all of them but got a few pics.

IMG_1727_zpsrow548cs.jpg

IMG_1728_zps1snzue8a.jpg

D

djones

haha. good eye kid. OinK actually prefers shooting them in the nutz. he's just that way. after he took them out, he went for the pekker. might make a man want to think twice before dating his daughter!

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been sleeping in a peanut field for one of my friends. I drink a lot of Cokes so I can wake up every hour to pee and scan. I use the running pivot as cover because you can't see through the water without thermal. When the hogs arrive they run to the water so I walk up on the back side of the water slip around the end and take my shots. My friend wants them dead as soon as they come in the field so it limits the exposure to shoot. These two will now sleep with me waiting on the big group to come back.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
we had a ‘special request’ job to do on a wheat field full of hogs, and would normally have passed on a single spotted along the way. however, my zeus had just returned from the shop and needed to re-prove itself before going into battle. this provided the perfect field test.

the extra magnification of the zeus throws me off a little after using the reapir, and we were farther away than i thought. fortunately, he had a lot of ground to cover before reaching the land of the free.

IMG_1723_zpse1tsdbgk.jpg
Yep.....the same old Zeus is back and so is the bad shooting. Better order a lot more ammo.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i’ve had a problem with runners in this field, so i stayed in the vehicle just in case. good thing too, this was one tough hog.

IMG_1731_zpskwnegipu.jpg
THAT, was definitely one tough hog there.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
on to the wheat field. plenty of hogs there for sure. when the wheat is that tall, the thermal is the only way to even catch a glimpse of the hogs and that’s usually only the biggest ones or chance sightings while they’re running.

our tactic was to let them hear and wind us, then race around to the other side and catch them trying to make their great escape. some refused to leave the field and others banded together in their mass exodus. herding and cutting them off comes first, so video is limited. couldn't get to all of them but got a few pics.

IMG_1727_zpsrow548cs.jpg

IMG_1728_zps1snzue8a.jpg
Appearance is, your kill ratio is higher with the other optic. Nice image on that Zeus, however. Some good hogs down for the nights effort!

D

djones

scram - still suffering the 6.8. don't ask me why.

hogs took lots of shots cuz OinK writes the checks and i don't want to make him look bad.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
scram - still suffering the 6.8. don't ask me why.

hogs took lots of shots cuz OinK writes the checks and i don't want to make him look bad.
Okay, that explains a lot. Watching the video my thoughts were "This guy shoots like ammo is free!"
But, compared to the damage the hogs do, ammo probably isn't a considerable expense.

D

djones

del tuffy,
i don't own any land, so the damage is not mine. i just like to shoot hogs. the ammo isn't free but the hunt is, so i figure i still come out waaay ahead. besides, in case the pics don't show it, those hogs had a lot of boolits in them. some are just tuff. that one was still moving after i shot him in the face 5 times.

do you pick up your golf ball around a water hazard and drop on the green so you don't loose it. do you not cast into the weeds because you don't want to loose your lure. they're just bullets. they're supposed to be shot. that's where the fun is!!!

but yes... the ammo expense is painful, however, it's nothing compared to the agony of not having a sus banner!!!

Last edited by a moderator: