Bionic Field Trials

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So I got a total hip replacement a couple months ago and got the green light by the Dr. two weeks ago to start doing "normal" things again. (not supposed to lift weights or drag deer/hogs till next month)

Last week I went out to one of my favorite places in TX to hunt (Mason Mountain WMA) and was lucky enough to get in on a standby for a drawing hunt. The only legal animals were bucks with 6 points or less, but it is a joy just to sit in a blind and watch all the great wildlife pass by. I was fortunate enough to take a spike and a little 4 point to tag out and will be a great tender addition to the freezer. Sorry, I didn't think of taking pictures of my trophies before I started processing. Here is a picture of the view from one of the blinds I hunted before daylight.

The best news is that my hip functioned as though there was never anything wrong. Now if the other side goes as well, I will be unstoppable next year.

As soon as I got back from Mason Mountain, I headed to MS for the opening of deer season there. This is the first time I wasn't working the opening weekend, so I just wanted to see what was happening. The hogs were pretty active at night, but I still don't have much stamina after sitting on my backside for so long during the recovery so I didn't even try to go after them. I did hunt each morning and evening and saw a lot of deer, but nothing I wanted to shoot after already adding to the freezer. Three years ago we started getting trail camera photos of Black coyotes and both my buddy and I had brief sightings a couple times. On sunday morning, right at first light I spotted a coyote lurking in the shadows with my x320 thermal spotter. He started moving toward my blind and fortunately stepped out into the clearing where I could see him with my day scope. At that time I realized there was another one behind the first one, but when I tried to get my rifle out the window, I bumped the sill ever so slightly. It was enough though to alert the first coyote but instead of running, she sat down to look at me. That was a fatal mistake. I shot the first one through the chest and she was DRT. The second one started running through the high grass but I was able to stop him momentarily when he got into a shooting lane by lip squeeking at him. One shot in the boiler room and he started the spinning death dance. He only made it about 10 yards into the thick grass before dying. So after almost 3 years hoping to get a shot at one I got two in a few seconds.

So, the field testing is going quit well and I will continue to work on the stamina and endurance and get ready for the next replacement. I think my training regiment will revolve around hunting. I hate gyms anyway.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave'll be the new Mick Dodge with his own TV series!!

Congrats on the freezer fillers and fine pair of black 'yotes!! Those are purdy pelts.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Chopper, you flat got after it! Those yotes are an awesome trophy, I remember you trying to get one last year...Congratulations. And a couple deer, fun!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going, see you are right on target to be better than ever!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go! Keep at it and you'll be giving the jack rabbis a run for their money. Beautiful coyotes! I had a chance at 1 a few years back. I was guiding a hog hunt. The client didn't care to shoot it and asked me to let it go because he didn't want to risk spooking any hogs that might be nearby. We never saw a hog that night.

Are you going to have the yotes mounted or just the hides tanned?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go! Keep at it and you'll be giving the jack rabbis a run for their money. Beautiful coyotes! I had a chance at 1 a few years back. I was guiding a hog hunt. The client didn't care to shoot it and asked me to let it go because he didn't want to risk spooking any hogs that might be nearby. We never saw a hog that night.

Are you going to have the yotes mounted or just the hides tanned?
Neither, I just donated them to the turkey buzzards. I didn't feel like messing with them after I shot them.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Neither, I just donated them to the turkey buzzards. I didn't feel like messing with them after I shot them.
My favorite thing to do. I wouldn't even picked them up! Full of fleas, ticks and no-see-ums.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB

Outstanding hunts!

Hard to believe you aren't going to do something with those hides though. Those yotes look really cool!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome Dave! Man those things are pretty

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I let them sit for a couple hours before picking them up with gloves. My daughter was upset that I didn't skin them for her, but she wasn't there to help so she loses.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish I was there Chopper to help with those coyotes, they are beautiful.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice pair of dark coyotes down!! Hope you have a fast recovery!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wish you were there too! I could use a younger, healthier, stronger hunting partner.

If I didn't live over in the dust bowl and you weren't so far into LA, I would be your huckleberry.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
never seen anything like that. very cool!!
I think the consensus is, when a wild species mates with a domestic dog, the off-spring can (later generations) end up with black fur. I heard that about wolves once.