Best 6.8 Factory Ammo for Whitetail deer?

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
I’m hunting a wooded area and most shots are within 100 yards or less... Is the 120 SST any good? Ive got my rifle zeroed in perfect and tight groups with it. I’ve heard some people say it fragments too much and destroys meat. Any recommendations are appreciated.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is the "go to" bullet for most of us here I believe. It has out performed any others I have shot and tends to be very accurate out of most guns. Now if they were half the price...that would be nice!

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree. I personally don't think there is a better factory load. Just shot a alligator with it this past weekend.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
same here good to go

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I myself like the hornady 120sst's. A friend of mine really likes the federal fusion 115gr and 90gr rounds. Those bullets hold together really well. Never seen one come apart like the 120ssts do.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ive used the 120gr SST, 90gr Sierra Varmintor, 100gr GMX, 115gr Hornady BTHP, 110gr Vmax, and 105gr Cavity Back Bullets.
I bought a bunch of the 120gr SST on a clearance so ive been using them the most. Unless its for a new farm with big hogs then ill go back to the 105gr CBB's for the most carnage.
No disappointment with any of the bullets mentioned above for deer, hogs, or coyotes.

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have taken hogs, whitetail, and axis with the 115 Fusion. It works really good and is very accurate in my rifle.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
120sst is my go-to ammo for hogs. Never shot a deer with it but have heard it works maybe too well in that it does fragment and can cause excessive meat loss. I think I read that the 115 gr fusions and 110gr accubond performs well on deer. I carry a 5 rd mag of the 110gr accubonds (next to several 15 & 25 rd mags of SST's) in the truck in the event I feel the need to shoot s deer, but since I started hog hunting I don't hunt whitetail much anymore.

Check out the threads on this topic from Xman on 68Forums, he's done some extensive testing on this topic.

ETA: 90gr Barnes TTSX might be worth considering for deer - petals back nicely and usually passes thru whatever your shooting so would likely leave a good blood trail. Maybe somebody wirh actual experience can chime in....