Beaver Hunt

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My folks have about 23 acres and a little spring fed stream. The first beavers appeared nearly 20 years ago and the folks didn't mind the few trees they cut down as the creek was overgrown. Then the beavers started moving inland and taking the fruit trees pop had planted. They were grabbing these more than 100 yards from the creek. Over the years, the folks have tried various trappers and such and then I got involved with trying to trap the beavers. That worked pretty well, but I had some unfortunate by-catch. So I took to shooting them and I find it much more enjoyable and sometimes more efficient.

Well the beavers are back and had built a fairly large dam for the tiny creek. It was mostly a mud dam and there wasn't any immediate sign of the beavers taking trees, though I have no doubt trees are missing. Here is a video of my efforts to get rid of the beavers...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A threesome, nailing a pair of beavers. That's nearly hero status right there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good shootin there, hope you skinned them out, that is incredible fur, for Rick!

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They supposedly eat good too. Heard the tail was specially tasty. Would love to try it sometime.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting ... Got some popcorn for the comments to follow ; )

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm just glad DJ is gone.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice video Brian. Good change of pace from the usual hog killing.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sweet video!

I bet DJ was disappointed when he watch the videos and saw the content!

I got to destroy a number of beaver dams several years ago. I tore several of them apart by hand but destroyed 2 with tannerite. Tannerite is fun but since the dams I used them on were about 6 feet high, it took about $100 to destroy both of them.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ain't nothing like a little beaver to make your day!

D

djones

nice beav shots. i understand wanting to admire the beavers after stretching them out like that. my only suggestion is not to wait for them to climb on the stick. sometimes you just have to hit them where they are even if it means getting yourself a little wet.

JPK

LSB Active Member
They supposedly eat good too. Heard the tail was specially tasty. Would love to try it sometime.

Beaver can be great, some better than others. I recommend it either way. Never tried rodent.

Nice shooting Brian!

JPK