ATPAIL or Steiner DBAL-A3

Randy

Iowa
I am requesting help from colleagues experienced with using IR, visible and infrared illuminators. I am at that point where I have watched every YouTube Video, read the blogs and websites.

I am ready to decide on laser. I hunt with thermal. Use night vision to see where I am going and now want to add value to NV with laser for short range usage and home defense.

It seems Steiner DBAL-A3 has some reoccurring issues with not working out of the box and less than desirable quick mount that people end up replacing.

ATPIAL-C has no derogatory comments anywhere I have seen other than not having green visible laser, which though easy to see and cool, did not seem to hinder war on terror warriors.

I have picked up and seen Steiner DBAL-A3. I have not seen ATPIAL-C which is why I am reaching out for practical wisdom.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I cannot comment on those specific two, but I do have and use a DBAL-D2.

Before I comment, my primary uses is in outdoor settings when there is little to no moon. In fact I have grown accustom to the IR laser, I ditched the switch over from my helmet to the gun and just shoot from the IR laser. Much quicker shoots and easier to lead and spot targets when the action starts. Only draw back is precision shot placement at distance (over 100 yards), but most of time I don't take quick shots further than 100 unless I have time to steady the shot. No thermal yet.

Here are my thoughts and experience so far.
The DBAL-D2 has a 600 and 300mW IR Illuminator and it is very bright and casts a nice round clean adjustable beam. Most of the time I run it at 300mW for general use and it could be used for indoor use if beam is focused all the way out which would light up an entire room, but dim enough not disorient you under NV. It really shines (no pun intended) for outdoor uses and will spot anything I point it at when focused down. The 600mW setting is super bright and can spot something from the other side of the field, but typically I only use this setting when I want to light up something far off.

Looking at the IR Illuminator specs for the DBAL-A2 and ATPIAL-C, with a output of around 2-4mW I don't think it would be very useful in an outdoor hunting situation. Perhaps under 50 yards it may make a slight difference, but I would much rather have closer to what the D2 has for hunting situations. I bet the 2-4mW would be awesome for indoor uses, but never used one myself so I can only judge by specs.

The IR laser of the DBAL-D2 is where I wish I had more adjust-ability. The IR laser is set at one power 0.7mW, which is plenty of power to target anything I want to shoot at night. But with the IR Illuminator off the bright IR laser can at times washout at close distances, I would say anything under 20 yards it is too bright. Don't get me wrong the .7mW laser can be used at close up distances, just not the most ideal setting and I wish I had some adjust-ability. If it had a IR laser low then the DBAL-D2 would be perfect for my situation.

As for the Visible Laser, what can I say all units are pretty much identical with the green vis laser.

If I had to buy again I would probably go for the DBAL-A3 and add a Steiner SPIR IR Illuminator. Reason being the A3's high and low laser would fit both indoor/close outdoor and general outdoor uses, and the A3's illuminator would fit those close up illumination needs like indoors or low key illumination needs. Then when I need to blaze a field or something far away I could go to the SPIR. As far as I can tell the SPIR is the same illuminator than what is in the DBAL-D2.

Hope this helps you selection decisions, good luck.

Randy

Iowa
I cannot comment on those specific two, but I do have and use a DBAL-D2.

Before I comment, my primary uses is in outdoor settings when there is little to no moon. In fact I have grown accustom to the IR laser, I ditched the switch over from my helmet to the gun and just shoot from the IR laser. Much quicker shoots and easier to lead and spot targets when the action starts. Only draw back is precision shot placement at distance (over 100 yards), but most of time I don't take quick shots further than 100 unless I have time to steady the shot. No thermal yet.

Here are my thoughts and experience so far.
The DBAL-D2 has a 600 and 300mW IR Illuminator and it is very bright and casts a nice round clean adjustable beam. Most of the time I run it at 300mW for general use and it could be used for indoor use if beam is focused all the way out which would light up an entire room, but dim enough not disorient you under NV. It really shines (no pun intended) for outdoor uses and will spot anything I point it at when focused down. The 600mW setting is super bright and can spot something from the other side of the field, but typically I only use this setting when I want to light up something far off.

Looking at the IR Illuminator specs for the DBAL-A2 and ATPIAL-C, with a output of around 2-4mW I don't think it would be very useful in an outdoor hunting situation. Perhaps under 50 yards it may make a slight difference, but I would much rather have closer to what the D2 has for hunting situations. I bet the 2-4mW would be awesome for indoor uses, but never used one myself so I can only judge by specs.

The IR laser of the DBAL-D2 is where I wish I had more adjust-ability. The IR laser is set at one power 0.7mW, which is plenty of power to target anything I want to shoot at night. But with the IR Illuminator off the bright IR laser can at times washout at close distances, I would say anything under 20 yards it is too bright. Don't get me wrong the .7mW laser can be used at close up distances, just not the most ideal setting and I wish I had some adjust-ability. If it had a IR laser low then the DBAL-D2 would be perfect for my situation.

As for the Visible Laser, what can I say all units are pretty much identical with the green vis laser.

If I had to buy again I would probably go for the DBAL-A3 and add a Steiner SPIR IR Illuminator. Reason being the A3's high and low laser would fit both indoor/close outdoor and general outdoor uses, and the A3's illuminator would fit those close up illumination needs like indoors or low key illumination needs. Then when I need to blaze a field or something far away I could go to the SPIR. As far as I can tell the SPIR is the same illuminator than what is in the DBAL-D2.

Hope this helps you selection decisions, good luck.

Randy

Iowa
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment. Yes, your comments and guidance is very appreciated. Best regards.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been using the DBAL-D2 for years I thought lasers were a joke before buying this one. All I can say is this is a serious tool and anything with my range is DRT using the DBAL. The IR Illum is very bright, produces clear uniform light and I love the laser and Illum setting same time. The laser is alittle strong for me also at times, however I bought the diffuser cover that reduces its power some what a must have item so me.

Randy

Iowa
Been using the DBAL-D2 for years I thought lasers were a joke before buying this one. All I can say is this is a serious tool and anything with my range is DRT using the DBAL. The IR Illum is very bright, produces clear uniform light and I love the laser and Illum setting same time. The laser is alittle strong for me also at times, however I bought the diffuser cover that reduces its power some what a must have item so me.