Armasight Zeus 640 x 42 Help

darrohn801

LSB Member
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and just watched this video from TexasLawMan a few time as I just bought a zeus 640 42mm. I have to say so far I have been really disappointed, but I am certain most of it is me not being as familiar with the device to get what I need out of it and as I tweak it I do see some improvements. However, I do have a few questions and any feedback is welcomed!

1 - I have adjusted the diopter to what I believe is the best position, which seems to be all the way clockwise so not really adjusted much but that seems to be what fits my eye best. The problem I am having is when I adjust my front focus I have never ever seen anything change at all. I turn the front focus and it's having no effect at all. Is there something I am doing wrong? All I see for up close images (like 10 feet) is a big blur. Is this normal? Wondering if I should have it sent bak to armasight. I just have never been able to get a clear crips image like I have seen some of the videos online.

2- When my batteries die my screen starts to go really fuzzy like old tvs used to and then a blank screen. My battery indicator never changes it is always green and then the screen starts freaking out like I mentioned so I change the batteries and everything is fine again. Is this normal?

3 - Obscure edges. It seems like a lot of times that I have obscure or cloudy edges. What is the proper adjustment to help with this or is this normal?'

4 - With the quick release that comes with this scope do you guys have to re zero the reticle each time you take it off or does it stay pretty close?

Appreciate your help and I have a bunch of videos I will post as I'd love to contribute.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
10 ft is pretty close to focus. Try 20 yards or more. It can focus at 10 ft but is very close.

I have heard of others having battery indicator issues. Armasight will fix it.

Fuzzy edges can be from high humidity and out of focus

Diopter. Start with it turned all the way to the left (counterclockwise as viewed from the rear) look at the reticle and words in the screen. Turn it until the words and reticle are crisp. The fuzzy edges could be related to this.

Good luck

darrohn801

LSB Member
10 ft is pretty close to focus. Try 20 yards or more. It can focus at 10 ft but is very close.

I have heard of others having battery indicator issues. Armasight will fix it.

Fuzzy edges can be from high humidity and out of focus

Diopter. Start with it turned all the way to the left (counterclockwise as viewed from the rear) look at the reticle and words in the screen. Turn it until the words and reticle are crisp. The fuzzy edges could be related to this.

Good luck

Anyone had any recent experience with Joe long it took to get back from armasight when they sent something in?

JeremyV

LSB Member
Anyone had any recent experience with Joe long it took to get back from armasight when they sent something in?
How sharp is the Armasight logo when you power on the unit? If it's sharp and you have followed the setting tips from the video then I would say your scope needs sent back.

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I sent them a predator on 12/28. They got it on 12/30. I should have it back today, 1/23. This was to replace the oled and update the firmware.

darrohn801

LSB Member
How sharp is the Armasight logo when you power on the unit? If it's sharp and you have followed the setting tips from the video then I would say your scope needs sent back.
The image when I start up as well as all the lettering and flir logo on main screen are very clear.

Bacon8tor

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
How far are you turning the focus ring to adjust the focus? I believe the manual says that there should be 3/4 of a turn of adjustability for the focus ring.

On my scope there's a 1/4 turn of free play where the focus ring doesn't do anything. Once you get past that 1/4 turn and it feels like it's at a stopping point, it's really not and if you turn it further it will actually adjust the focus. Difficult to determine the actual stopping point though I'm always nervous adjusting it.

I was wondering if anybody else had this issue but just hadn't made a thread.

darrohn801

LSB Member
How far are you turning the focus ring to adjust the focus? I believe the manual says that there should be 3/4 of a turn of adjustability for the focus ring.

On my scope there's a 1/4 turn of free play where the focus ring doesn't do anything. Once you get past that 1/4 turn and it feels like it's at a stopping point, it's really not and if you turn it further it will actually adjust the focus. Difficult to determine the actual stopping point though I'm always nervous adjusting it.

I was wondering if anybody else had this issue but just hadn't made a thread.

Duude! Thank you so much! Mine does the exact same thing. I was only turning the 1/4 in "play" in the front focus. Now that I force it I can focus the scope better and holy crap it makes such a huge difference!! I will say I am a little nervous adjusting it as well but now that I have it focused I don't think I'll have to adjust it too often. Again, thanks you solved a huge problem for me!

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had the same question about the free play in the focus and Andrew at Armasight said it was designed that way. He also said that the "3/4 turn" focus range was a misprint. Its actually two complete rotations from near focus to infinity, on my 336/42 anyway.

Last edited:

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My 42 and 75 was the same loose play in the focus ring. My pro 50 I have now however is tight all the way through. I'm not sure the reasoning for having the play in it. I had a 42 prometheus before and it had the same play in the focus ring. I think it's relatively normal. Don't be scared to play with the focus adjustment. That's how you're going to get the best image and be able to make the most accurate shot.

Also, the american defense mounts they send the zeus's with are fairly reliable and you shouldn't have to rezero. I take mine on and off all the time and generally store the scope off the gun.

I've experienced erratic behavior out of mine too when the batteries are about to die. I think it's relatively normal. Good quality batteries will help and please don't store them inside the unit. When you're done using it take the batteries out. If a battery ruptures inside your thermal you won't be happy.

Also, try using different brands of batteries. The battery indicator may have something to do with the kind of battery you're using or maybe you got a bad batch or something. I've found the battery indicators on thermals are only marginally useful and are rarely super accurate.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Speaking of "storing with batteries out", excellent practice but curious if settings get lost? My batteries ran out once and my scope reverted to default zero. Didn't know if that was SOP or a weird one off glitch.

darrohn801

LSB Member
Speaking of "storing with batteries out", excellent practice but curious if settings get lost? My batteries ran out once and my scope reverted to default zero. Didn't know if that was SOP or a weird one off glitch.
I haven't had any problems keeping setting, but I also haven't had mine off for a really long time. I know a couple of times I have hit the 2 and 4 button which resets your zero instead of the 1 and 3 which NUCs the screen.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've never had settings go wonky. Always take the batts out always.

Myron did you get the 100mm yet?

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No I sure haven't. They said they're waiting on some parts to assemble it, I guess they don't build these big ones until they have an order in hand. I get the feeling they don't do much of anything in December and until after shot show. I'm getting pretty tired of waiting on it but I have high hopes it'll ship this week. It was supposed to ship last week but they wouldn't make any promises with Shot Show going on and all.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sounds flat out weird to me.

mdmorrow

Night Vision Outfitters
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You ain't kidding. I been in touch with Andrew weekly for the last month. Also could have to do with the change over to Flir. He has been responsive and helpful but it's been super slow. My buddy had his Zeus 42 serviced recently and it took about a month and a half to get it back.