Another one gets away.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually several get away! I sent my pvs-14 to ident to have them try and get the spot out so I only had my thermal monocular to navigate with last night. Since the thermal cannot see through glass I decided to bring a chair and watch this one large field scanning every few minutes with the thermal. On one of the scans I spotted a nice buck and was watching him as a sounder of hogs came out about 100 yards to his left. Game on!

They stopped and started feeding out in the open upwind from me perfect! So the stalk begins with the thermal monocular around my neck stopping to look about every 50 yards. Man it was dark with no pvs. On my last look the hogs were still 400-500 yards from me and feeding, as I raised the thermal to my eye the hogs were at a full trot right at me 75 yards and closing fast! By the time I set up the sticks turned on the w1000, and hit record the alpha sow was about 40 yards from me and she knew something was wrong. There were three adults and about six young hogs in the sounder, they all came to a stop looking my direction even though it was pitch black no moon and I was down wind with a strong breeze. The alpha sow took a few steps to the right still trying to figure out what I was, and she paid for that mistake with a 120 sst to the head she dropped DRT. Moved to the second hog, my first shot was a miss a bit high, the second hit him high at an angle with a nice blood spray but this just sent him into high gear. A third shot got a squeal out of him but he never slowed down everything after that was misses and I watched the whole group run into the trees very frustrated.

After this I went to check the scopes zero since I have switched to several different optics on the rifle lately, sure enough it was 3" left and 3" high at 50 yards. I'm surprised the hits did not break that hogs back must have just missed the spine. Later in the night with the zero fixed the hogs went down much better.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How do you sight in w/o shooting or did you?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always comforting when an equipment glitch is confirmed. Nice hit on that alpha.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How do you sight in w/o shooting or did you?

I put a red laser on the rifle zeroed it to the iron sights, then used the w1000 and a cold water bottle. Got close.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow that far off and you still hit her in the head. I've never had one squeal like that with a head shot.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow that far off and you still hit her in the head. I've never had one squeal like that with a head shot.
She was pretty close! The bullet went down the side of her face into her neck and vitals.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That makes sense.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Must have shattered her spine she squealed but never moved.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Again with the misses. At least this time you didn't have a counseling session with yourself during the shooting. Good video and hunt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Of course they might have not all been misses, just not hitting a drt place, looks like alot of buzzard bait to me.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went to look for him, but with 25 dead hogs and a few more wounded in the field there are buzzards everywhere. It's just impossible to tell.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet it looked like a buzzard farm!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How,long does it take the buzzards to,clean down a medium size hog?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
But, not nearly as fast as pizza and beer vanishes.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we need a plot watcher video
one shot every 10 seconds played back as a movie

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I find that other hogs and yotes eat them at night and the buzzards during the day, could be as soon as 24 hrs and everything is gone.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is amazing bones and all what is the blue thing in the middle of the left frame