Advice on liability needed

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hunt hogs on a property owned by an individual who is affiliated with a nonprofit organization.

The organization is pinging him for me to guide a night hunt as part of a silent auction.

There are no livestock on the 170 acre property and no neighbors nearby.

He would not be personally be accepting any funds from the transaction.

Are there any special measures or considerations in protecting him from liability?

Anyone have a copy of a waiver that works well for them?

Thanks...

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's good to have a hold harmless form between you and the individual and the individual and land owner. (Even though they are pretty much worthless if an individual truly wants to go after you but it is an attempt to protect all parties).

JPK

LSB Active Member
Some states' liability laws are very protective of landowners who allow third parties to hunt on their land, some not so much.

As an example, liberal as all hell Peoples Republic of Maryland has very strong protection because of the long, strong tradition of waterfowl hunting on the Eatern Shore (of the Chesapeake Bay.) And MD is protective of landowners regardless of whether the hunting is by permission, by lease with payment, whether the hunt is guided or not. MD also has a state provided insurance fund for hunt clubs and landowners (not that I agree with the f'in gob'ment being involved in everything.)

You can probably get a decent idea of how your states protects or doesn't protect landowners via Google. You may even find some state specific release of liability forms.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
People will sue for anything now

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The main problem is having to keep an eye on the rookies. I love introducing people to hunting, but night time brings in a whole lot of problems.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Texas was able to strengthen its liability laws to benefit landowners and their agents in 2015. There is the option of some signs or some very specific verbiage to be included on a hold harmless agreement for the new law to apply. Give me some time and I will find you a link. You could also pm me and I'll email you our hold harmless agreement that includes that verbiage.

Edit:
Here is a link with the info from the Texas agrilife page: Texas Agritourism Act - Texas Agriculture Law

Here is the link to the actual legal content of the law change: CIVIL PRACTICE AND REMEDIES CODE CHAPTER 75A. LIMITED LIABILITY FOR AGRITOURISM ACTIVITIES

If any of you care to do more searching you can search Texas agritourism act. 2015.

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think you are over thinking it. The way things are today it does not matter because anyone can sue for anything these days. If I remember correctly you can not sign your rights away in Texas anywhos, if that makes any sense. You are already getting into it by stating something like a guided hog hunt?? BANG BANG!!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A fairly generic "Hold Harmless" agreement can be had at either Staples or Office Depot. Most private property landowners will accept this for the liability thing.
Some of the larger paper companies will ask for actual insurance. This will usually be fairly cheap. --- pruhdlr

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dr. Jones would be the one to know if anyone does. He takes new people hunting all time. One of the most unselfish and sharing person I have ever known.

D

djones

snake, you're going to pay for that

OinK, flattery will get you nowhere. i demand to know how you got the buzzard and support banners

ask me any legal questions you want. i was mistaken for an attorney once.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OinK, flattery will get you nowhere. i demand to know how you got the buzzard and support banners
If I told ya I'd have to kill ya.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I appreciate all of the advice!