A lot of shooting

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And a lot of missing.

My buddy and I get to a recently cut corn field right at last glimmer of day light last night. We parked in the middle of a large section of the field in the NW corner of the property since we had a SE wind thinking they would come from the same adjacent property we had been seeing them come from.

While we're getting gear ready, I happen to casually scan our entire surroundings when I see a large group of hogs right behind us. Like 250 yards away. Initially, they are moving parallel to our position into the wind. They are also about 250 yards away from the property they came into the field from, but moving further into the corn.

Our plan was to move parallel but opposite direction down wind of their position toward the ditch line where they came from, then head the 200 yards or so to the point where they likely crossed into the field. We would then approach with the advantage of having the most correct wind, and having their expected escape route cut off.

Everything was going right along as planned until we noticed they have reversed their course and were now heading back out of the field. I have no idea what changed their mind, but at least I got the exit route correct. Too bad we didn't have enough time to get in the shooting position I wanted us to be in because our (at least my) shooting was not on up to the challenge of shooting this far away. They are about 100 yards away or so when we started shooting, or shall I say missing. I could actually see three bullets impacts just inches behind them through the scope, but just couldn't get more in front of them. And to top it all, my gun malfunctioned before they all got back across the ditch.

We did get two out of the deal.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
At least you got out after them. Good fun.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was wondering what happened that the video ended so abruptly. Then I reread your post, and saw that your gun malfunctioned. I'm guessing you might have done some quick editing.LOL I know I might have let something slip....
Great story and write up. What's your buddy shooting? It didn't sound like the .308 SCAR.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wanted to spare the audience the frustration of dealing with the malfunction.

Buddy was shooting a 300BLK.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry, I shouldn't have implied any foul language. As hard as I try sometimes it slips.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You got the big one!! How big was it?? Good going guys!!! They were even all strung out for you!!:) BANG BANG!!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You got the big one!! How big was it?? Good going guys!!! They were even all strung out for you!!:) BANG BANG!!
That's the worst part of all the missing. Perfect opportunity. Hopefully there will be a next time!!

That big sow was about 150-175 lbs.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey at least you were out there and shooting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes it's a great outing sometimes , not so much. But, didn't get skunked, so that's a good side.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey Wildflower, at least your luck was better than mine.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm not mad about missing all those shots.

Most importantly, I am very thankful to get to go as often as I do. Missing them is just part of it and honestly do that more times than not. Seeing that many at once is what makes me keep wanting to go back. It's funny, I showed that video to my wife and she laughed and said "what you only got one each? Y'all suck!"

I am however frustrated in the malfunction of my rifle. I just installed a JP Low mass carrier and did test fire it a handful of times prior to this hunt without any issues. Sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy.

I expected to have to adjust the gas block setting when I made that change but curiously both carriers in spite of the difference in weight eject empty brass at the exact same 3 o'clock position.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like fun! Now the little guys should be easier to get on again w/o their fearless leader!