6.8 Suppresor Advice

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey y'all, I'm familiar with the NFA process with firearms, but am considering my first suppressor. I'm a newbie in this area.

I'm looking for a 6.8/6.5 suppressor that will be "if you're gonna have just one suppressor".

I'd love any advice and input from you guys experienced with using them with 6.8's or 6.5's. Weight isn't a huge deal for me but I'd like as much sound reduction as possible (w/out being ridiculously long). This will be used for hunting along with supersonic ammunition. Here are a couple I've been looking at. Is a 6.8 specific diameter important and does that hold great advantage over using a 30cal suppressor? Thank y'all for any help!

Wilson Combat Titanium Whisper 6.8

Surefire Socom68

SilencerCo Saker 7.62

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad to hear you're taking the plunge. From experience weight is an issue. You may think it's not bad but when you hang it off of the end of a 16-20" barrel it gets heavy. Also get a .30 can and not just one for a 6.8. That way you can run it on a 308 or other 30 cal if you choose.

This will be a purchase that you are stuck with so get the one you want whatever the price. But once cry once. I am a fan of Templar Tactical and Silencerco. Templar Tactical cans are Titanium direct thread, I'd say more of a precision suppressor. Silencerco makes great suppressors and customer service is top notch. I have the Templar Archangel and waiting on an Ark30. I also have the Saker 7.62 and it is very nice. I have heard the new Omega is the one to have.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Go with the best 30 suppressor you can find. It will work fine on the 6.8. I'm using a AAC SD6 can on mine and it sounds like my 5.56 suppressed.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A 30 cal call will work fine and let you have the option of mounting it on other 30 cal rifles. Here is my list:

- Silencerco Specwar:
It's one of the quietest ones but is a heavy beast. A plus is that it's fairly priced.

- Silencerco Saker 7.62:
I have this one and it's kind of an upgrade from the Specwar, it's modular and can support 5.56 with the 5.56 end cap. Not as quiet as the Specwar but also not as heavy.

- Silencerco Omega:
Just came out, pretty impressive overall with sound reduction and weight. It does use a titanium tube with steel baffles - there is some argument if titanium can hold up to heavy use (mag dumps). But silencerco does rate it's fully auto capable.

- Griffin Arament Reece 7:
Overall good can and not as expensive as the Silencerco ones. Worth looking at.

You can also look into surefire or Knights Aramanet if you have the cash.

Last edited:

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been using a Thunder Beast Arms 30p-1 and have not been dissapointed. Makes my 6.8 sound like a 22 mag or less. Down range and from behind it is very quiet.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The most expensive thing you will ever do in your life is buy cheap cookie cutter legal services.

not a fan

Get what YOU need for Your circumstances

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well it is from the silencer CO and since lawyers charge so much for anything they do, this Company has given you the deal the Attorney should have is my feeling.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm not as experienced as most here, but will echo hd's sentiments regarding going light, 30 cal and buy1cry1. Silencerco must be doing something right as everyone seems to hold their cans in high regard. However at the time I went went a Templar Nemisis30 - short & light, not sure about sound reduction relative to other cans as I kinda live on an island here and haven't compared it to anything else. But with a 12.5" 6.8 I can shoot hogs all night long with no worry of need for hearing pro, and it's no longer than my unsuppressed 16" 6.8. That is a good thing when getting in/out of vehicles multiple times a night. There is not many greater joys than hearing a bullet zing and smack amidst a cold dark night.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Well it is from the silencer CO and since lawyers charge so much for anything they do, this Company has given you the deal the Attorney should have is my feeling.
Thanks Frank

Compressorguy

Burleson Texas
I was in the same boat as you 81police. Torn on what to buy, and I went with an omega, and very excited to see how she does.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thank yall for the advice, I ended up going with the Omega. Now let's see if 6-7 months is accurate for a form 4 individual...

Compressorguy

Burleson Texas
According to silencer shops wait page link, as of this week form 4's as a trust have been approved sent in as late as 11/17/2014. Mine was sent in 02/09/15, waiting is killing me already.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I called Silencer Shop yesterday, said they don't do many Form 4's to individuals, mostly all trusts. But it looks like the wait times for individuals is accurate, I'm in for the long haul!

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
buddy made his own 5.56 suppressor....form 1 filed online took 5 weeks. Pretty good...for the government