6.8 SPC II vs 6.5 Grendel for hog hunting

Pilot00

6.5 Grendel seems on paper to be a overal better round. More energy, heavier bullets, more range, ect. Why do you use the 6.8? Convince me one way or the other. I'm buy one of them this week.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shouldn't let anyone convince you on the caliber you need. It's pretty simple, look at ballistics. If you put the Grendel in the normal 22-24" barrel it will out perform the 6.8. If you want a 16-18" barrel the 6.8 out performs the Grendel until around 300 yards. This is with factory ammo but if you are a reloader the 6.8 brass and bolts can handle hotter loads than the Grendel.

So if you like long barrels or shoot mostly 300+ yards then the Grendel might be a better choice. Is you shoot mostly less than 300 yards and like the idea of 16-18" barrels the 6.8 would be a good choice.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shouldn't let anyone convince you on the caliber you need. It's pretty simple, look at ballistics. If you put the Grendel in the normal 22-24" barrel it will out perform the 6.8. If you want a 16-18" barrel the 6.8 out performs the Grendel until around 300 yards. This is with factory ammo but if you are a reloader the 6.8 brass and bolts can handle hotter loads than the Grendel.

So if you like long barrels or shoot mostly 300+ yards then the Grendel might be a better choice. Is you shoot mostly less than 300 yards and like the idea of 16-18" barrels the 6.8 would be a good choice.

Well summed! Also depends on your hunting style. A lot of folks on here do a lot of stalking and like the shorter barrel so the 6.8 works for them. I like the 6.8 and try to keep my rifle and gear minimal. After 6-8 hours of stalking, getting out of the truck and hauling hogs, you definitely feel EVERY ounce.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Yep he nailed it most of the reports you see that claim the grendel outperforms are with longer barrels and neutered 6.8spc I loads not the industry standard 6.8spc II. It's a marketing gimmick the grendel fan boys have been very successful with. Will the grendel kill? Yes. Is it a bad caliber? No. Does it outperform the 6.8 in typical hunting conditions with less than a 22" barrel? Not even close.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It came down to those two calibers for me as well. The 6.5 Grendel shoots flatter and maintains more energy further out. I knew I wanted a 16" barrel or less in the ar15 platform, and 95% of my shots are under 200 yards. These circumstances gave the 6.8 SPC II the slight advantage ballistically. But what really tipped the scale for me was that I don't reload, and the 6.8 had more factory hunting ammo options commercially available than the 6.5 Grendel.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The two are so close for 99% - 100% of the shots we take,for the way we hunt,and for the environment that we hunt in,that IMO the ballistics of the two need not even be compaired and especially closely scrutinized.
The only reason that I can think of to do this would be building a bolt gun or a AR for daytime,longer range hunting.
Then . . . for that . . . I would choose a different chambering anyway.
I shoot 6.8's. They do everything that I need them to do providing my hunting conditions. Like the 6.5Creedmore,not for me. Not because it is bad,but my 308's will do everything that I need done. --- pruhdlr

Richard Teague

LSB Member
I came on the Grendel scene a year ago and factory ammo is easy to get now, both mine are tackdrivers. My favorite though is a M4 carbine copy in 6.5. It seems to kill things very nicely with the factory SST or my handload using the 129 gr. Hornady spire point. However sneaking around the HOA carrying the ugly black rifle has had some of the property owners either nervous or scared enough to talk to the HOA president about it. Had to switch back to bolt rifles.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I came on the Grendel scene a year ago and factory ammo is easy to get now, both mine are tackdrivers. My favorite though is a M4 carbine copy in 6.5. It seems to kill things very nicely with the factory SST or my handload using the 129 gr. Hornady spire point. However sneaking around the HOA carrying the ugly black rifle has had some of the property owners either nervous or scared enough to talk to the HOA president about it. Had to switch back to bolt rifles.
Do you live in Texas?