3 on game cam

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Same two pigs have been coming in every night for a goood while now. 1 smaller black one. And one larger light one. Checked cameras today at my dad's place and for the past two nights a different light one has been showing up, maybe a little larger than the black one but smaller than the original light one. I know he's different because the bigger light one has a split left ear and this guy doesn't. All three are sharing "back 6 feeder," but never at the same exact time. Within a couple minutes of eachother though and they take turns coming and going all night. The larger light one is also going to "Linda's feeder" consistently. I'm hunting Linda's for the larger light one now. Hopefully I get him around midnight or 1. Then I'll go over to the back 6 feeder that's been holding all 3 to hopefully get one of the other remaining two (hopefully the new light one, because the little black one seems pretty dumb and I figure he's less likely to be scared off for a long time if I shoot over there). image.jpgI don't know why the pic is sideways.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shootem', good luck!

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So the front that came through had the wind blowing from where I was hunting, right into Linda's feeder (and behind that was the main/heaviest trails that animals come from... And I think I saw the bigger white pig run by through the brush around midnight. So at two I got up and drove towards 6 and started walking the back of the property towards back 6 feeder.
Sure enough, the bigger white pig and smaller black pig were both out there. The white one kicking the feeder leg and the black one 30 yards away attacking the roll barrel (the roll barrel was kinda between me and the feeder but more off to the side). Anyhow, as i stalked closer and the black pig roamed around, he randomly started roaming toward me. By this point I was about 75 yards from the feeder and the white pig. I kept hoping the black pig would turn around and go back to the roll barrel or feeder but he ended up stopping about 25 yards from me and staring at me for a second and then started running towards my direction-ish so I had to shoot him instead of the white one. He turned and ran into the brush and dropped dead about 30 yards away. Was shooting 115 grain federal fusion MSR from a rock river 6.8 coyote carbine w/eotech xps-3, pvs-14/3x magnifier and spotted with thermal monocular.
Black pig taped out at almost 39 inches(measured 3 times) but weighed #131 on the scale... New scale too. A pig I shot a couple months ago taped 38 and weighed 140, which is still less than the estimate method.
I'm half asleep and just reread this write up and it sucks. Too much non pertinent info and I prolly left out something more important. Tired. Going to bed. Might fix later. Oh ya. The billet entered neck just in front of shoulder (see bloody stick going through) at a 45 degree angle and ended up crushing the shoulder bone, breaking up a few ribs, lungs, liver, intestines and stopped somewhere in the stomach cavity. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job and I think it's a great write up also! Are you measuring directly behind the legs and pulling tight? You have to measure the smallest spot or it will be off.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sure looks bigger than 140lbs. I would have guessed him at about 175lbs. Of course I'm looking at him on a computer screen too.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You also may want to weigh something of a known weight the heavier the better to see if the scale is right. There are more off scales than you would think.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good write up! Hog is a bit bigger I think, but lost of people measure at the wrong place and who knows on the scales. Good job, looks like that fusion did its job and held together.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks. I measured from right behind the front legs and did pull tight. First measured 39, next two measured between 38.5 and 39. Did not measure from the fattest part of the belly.
What do y'all think the chances are of that big light pig coming back to that feeder tonight. Or even a feeder 500-1000 yards away from that one. He's been coming in every night for at least a month.
What about the ugly light one who wasn't there last night when I shot.
That's the first time that scale has been used. From cabellas. I'll see if I can find something to weigh

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
50/50 chance, go get them! did you weigh the bullet after recovery?

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't have a scale for the bullet. After breaking up the shoulder bone pretty good and hitting a few ribs at that close distance id guess shedded 30-ish% of its weight but I can't confirm.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alrighty. I'm gonna be a bit more mobile tonight. Debating whether I should use the 5.56 and record with digisight while using helmet mounted pvs-14 and not have to worry about switching it to the gun... Or transfer the pvs from helmet and use the 6.8/eotech and pvs-14/3x after spotting and identifying.... First world problems

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Next time shoot the farthest pig first then nail the close one second.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
image.jpg image.jpg #110. He was the smaller "lighter" one from the game cam. Ugly bastard. Long raggedy hair, but not a lot of it. He was behind a cedar about 20 yards away along the back fence line as I approached the fence line from a dirt road that Ts off into it (sprinkled soured corn along about 600-800 yards of back fence line and of course he was standing right at the T where I walked up). I was being kinda loud too bc I had just come from there 5 mins before and was heading back to my truck to recheck one last spot (back 6 feeder) before calling it quits. He ran about 70 yards and stopped long enough for me to get aShot about 90 yards away. He did the dirt dance for a minute but never got back up. There was a bush blocking his head/neck so I shot for his lungs/spine. Broke his back... Woulda gotten better pics and tried to recover the bullet but it was after 4 am and I gotta drive back to Houston this afternoon. Tired. Goodnight. Unfortunately I didn't get the big lighter colored one this trip, but I guess 2 out of 3 ain't too bad. Hopefully he starts coming back around in a few weeks and I can take my girlfriend, nephew and or brother in law to get him and play with nv/thermal. Funny how deceiving pics can be. He looks a lot bigger in the pic with me than he does in the one with my dad.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good going, yeah I would not have guessed that was the same hog, looks sickly w your Dad and a monster w you.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Alrighty. I'm gonna be a bit more mobile tonight. Debating whether I should use the 5.56 and record with digisight while using helmet mounted pvs-14 and not have to worry about switching it to the gun... Or transfer the pvs from helmet and use the 6.8/eotech and pvs-14/3x after spotting and identifying.... First world problems
On a full moon night I don't see why you could not use the digi sight. Only draw back is with the 5.56 the shot placement is more critical.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I use my Digisight day or night, full moon or no moon.
But he has a gen. 3 pvs14 which will way outperform the digi sight in less than full moon conditions.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The moon was super bright last night. The benefit of the Digisight was that I could record the hunt and did not have to transfer the night vision onto the gun. The benefit to using the PVS was the larger caliber of the 6.8 and better clarity. My main concerns were that I wanted to use the bigger caliber. but I also wanted to record the hunt.