3 of a crap load (long read)

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went out for a few hours early this morning. The landowner told me he had 75 hogs next to his barn a few days ago so I was excited. I drove my normal loop and didn't see much. It just wasn't the right time yet.

I was creeping down a gravel road in the truck when a hog jumped out of the brush in the ditch. This is the one area of the road where trees block my view of the adjacent field. The hog takes off down the road and I just hold my speed thinking he would run into the field just ahead of where we were and I could pop him in the field from the truck.

I got to the clearing in the trees and there were hogs everywhere!!!!!!!!! They were already at 100 yards or more and at a full run. I hopped out and started shooting. I dropped the first one with one shot, moved to the next and fired, miss, fire two, hit! I picked out a third hog and he was well past 150 yards and still running. Fire! Miss!. Or so I thought. When I walked, the roughly 250 yards, to the fence I could see him laying there.

I walked back and unloaded the ATV because the fields were too wet for the truck and they had just planted so I didn't want to make ruts. When I got to the fence to drag the furthest one back to my side od the fence, by hand, the dang thing was on its feet and guess where my rifle was...THE TRUCK! STUPID ME. I hopped back on the ATV, went to the truck, and grabbed the gun. Drove back to the hog and he was up moving. Not fast but moving.

I crossed the fence and started following him. The field was a soft, sandy, plowed field and neither of us were moving fast but I could close the gap when he stopped to eyeball me.

He could see me approaching because of the huge moon and zero cover. All I could do was jog and try to cover ground quicker than him and I was running out of field before the next road.

I closed the gap to about 70 yards, took a knee, and BOOM, WHACK!! He went down.

I never thought I would play cat and mouse with a hog, but this guy was tough. He was a little 100 pound boar. I guess my last shot, that I thought was a miss, whacked him in one of his hams and a back leg. Even after the final vitals shot he still went 30 yards.

This experience confirms a few things: hogs can see just as well as us with moonlight,the swarms of hogs are back on their winter pattern, and I need to adjust my habbits so they don't busy me on the road again.

I only took a picture of the first two. I didn't want to drag the third across the muddy plowed field any farther than I had to. I couldn't get the ATV to it. Also, by the time I even thought about taking a picture of him alone I was 500 yards away and it was 0530 and I had to get home to make an appointment at 0730. So you guys will just have to believe me on the third one. LOL!

6.8 spc, hand loaded 12o sst with AA2200, federal brass, and CCI 450 primers. Brown hog took it on the shoulder broadside and the darker one took it on the shoulder quartering to me. Went in the should and out the gut.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Almost too much fun. I wish I would have pulled in the first field like a normally do. I would have spotted them 300 yards from me and the wind would have been in my favor. They would have headed right to me instead of busting me on the road. Live and learn.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"This experience confirms a few things: hogs can see just as well as us with moonlight"

Def concur. Fun hunt. Musta been cold out there.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a target rich environment. Good work.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Haha. Truck thermometer said 35 degrees at 0530.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yep, good ol' GMC. Phone said 36 degrees.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good job on the hogs, startin to cool down here too but 60 not 35, thank God!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been (on average) 29F during the days up here. No hogs seen though... heck, no polar bears either ! Sounds like a good outing for ya, glad you got a chance to get some trigger time in for yourself for a change.

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
75 hogs in one place is a lot regardless of where you are. Good luck on your next trip over to that ranch.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The next trip I will have Shooter and Dave with me. I will approach the area differently and we should be able to hammer them.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Grats!! Now you need to work on your hat trick, 5 shots for 5 hogs, 1 sounder!!! Yoo ken dooit!!!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
good hunt, wish they would go out in the fields where I hunt, but that is rare

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The next trip I will have Shooter and Dave with me. I will approach the area differently and we should be able to hammer them.
"Early" hunt, eh? LOL (hi Shooter)

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No doubt about it. Now if Alex were a real friend he would trap a couple-tie em up and let me get just close enough that I thought I shot em while they were wild. All of that before 23:00--would be perfect!!