291 yard shot

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First attempt to shoot a hog at 300 yards ended poorly.

1). Rushed the shot
2). Didn't load my bi-pod
3). Used my left hand to level butt stock instead of sand bag

I was aiming for the head of the white and black sow. Shaved her head. Hopefully they'll come back next week. I spotted the same sounder later that evening but wind was in their favor and I got busted. Spotted another bore around mid-night but it was in the middle of our cattle. There was also a group of about 10 deer between me and the hog posing no possible shot.

Chuck S

That sucked. I shoot a FNH Special Police Rifle in .308 and it really likes the 168 gr BTHP I bought for it. But this is a long range shooting rifle with a Shepherd V2 scope. I have put 5 out 0f 5 at 780 yards. I have not tried it yet with game ammo though.

Attachments

• DSCN2826.JPG
    DSCN2826.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 2

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good try, can't hit them all, I bet she has a headache though!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
can't believe you missed a 300 yard shot Ed, that's close range here in New Mexico...lol

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
'DOH !!! Hate when that happens.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I please ask.......at 291yds,why did you attempt a head shot ?? --- pruhdlr

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great attempt but gotta go with pruhdlr-center mass at that distance. Even if gut shot with a 308 it will die, and then the buzzards and cocoyotes get some grub.

Nice- and I like the range card set up. Let me know if you need a spotter !!!!!!!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is definately a great way to shoot. Bench,rests,bags,etc. Several years ago I did the same thing with yotes when I could see down my club road(before the pines got tall). I could see 850yds from my shooting house. The house has a built in shooting bench complete with all size bags. Perfectly stable. I took several yotes at the longer ranges. One at 750yds with my .30-378Wby Mag shooting a 220 @ 3200+. --- pruhdlr

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
I guess I am not the only one that google maps the area and plots ranges :D for firing solutions.
Where you aiming center mass? or did you calc holdover and click it in?
I set scope co witness with laser and check when I get ready to hunt for co witness if off I get close enough for both to be on target and use the dead critter to see which one is off :D

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
when shooting from a fixed position I draw my own range cards. Symbols and all. Anything past about 100 yards I aim upper center mass for the critical area of my target. I do calculate holdover. Never touch the knobs-but I also very seldom take a shot over 500 and most being from 50 to 150. Now when we taught this stuff we always taught how to adjust Of course that is using a precision 260 built by GAP. When pig hunting most of that goes out the window as the weapons simply do not have the capability, and the damn pigs will not hold still.

You have a good technique