264 lb. Boar Down, Montague County

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The owner of TBR where I often hunt called and told me that the hogs were back. His wife had seen a bunch out on the dam. We agreed to get together the following evening to cover more property and hopefully to get more hogs. I took my usual position overlooking a single feeder, hay field, and food plot and Mr. TBR took a stand overlooking two different feeders and the dam where the hogs were seen the day before.

About two hours into the hunt I had seen 4 deer and 1 turkey. Mr. TBR had seen 5 deer and some raccoons. Then I spotted a dark shape on the far side of the food plot that had not been there during my previous scan a couple minutes prior. It turned out to be a hog that I was able to drop fairly quickly.

I texted Mr. TBR, "Medium-sized boar down on far edge of food plot." He didn't look that big to me at 120 yards through digital night vision, but he bottomed out the first scale and we had to get another. The hog turned out to be 264 lbs. Thankfully, Mr. TBR had a nice tractor and we hauled it up to the house because Mrs. TBR wanted the backstraps.

The shot entered 1" behind the left ear and exited at the base of the right ear, clipping the back of the skull in the process.

Something was out of sorts. It was a big boar, nice tusks, scarred body, but no smell. He did not smell like a big, old, mature boar. His shield was over an inch thick and his lower tusks over 2" long out of the gum. The problem revealed itself as we started to butcher. He didn't appear to have testicles. I was thinking he was a barr hog, when Mr. TBR showed me that the boar did have testicles, but they were not descended. That was pretty bizarre to me.

Two NICE backstraps were taken and will be the fare for Memorial Day.

Angry Bird helped with the weighing in of the hog and I will be heading out first thing in the morning for cookies.

The more I shoot it, the more I am really appreciating the 6.5 Grendel.

Last edited:

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nicely done Sir!
I think the one I shot Friday night probably had the missing stink from yours!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Short & sweet, excellent shot, good video, tractor to do the work and BAM, another hog down!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good job Brian. That boar looks like the last one I shot, short, thick, thick shield. The last couple boars I shot were the same way, testicles not showing. The 300 pound boar in my avatar was the same way.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We need to get you and a buddy signed up as official scorers. That score would have been very high up on the national level.

You need the buddy to score yours!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice boar ! Congrats, nice shooting Kemosabe. All is right with the world, Angry Bird remains gainfully employed, the kiddos are in cookies, and one shot one kill.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Amazing big boar. Since his testes where not in there normal position does that have anything to do with his testosterone levels? It is like being castrated?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did some searching and learned this. A boar with his testicles not descended is called a cryptorchid. I did not find out about testosterone other than in some forms of cryptorchidism, there is improper sexual development, but I don't know that was the case here.
http://www.thepigsite.com/pighealth/article/8/reproductive-system
Cryptorchid - A male pig whose testes have not descended through the inguinal canals. Normally, the testes develop in the abdomen and descend through the inguinal canal to the scrotum before birth. Sperm production in the testes require a cooler environment than that of the abdomen.
In commercial pigs, this condition normally still results in the objectionable smell normally associated with larger boars when they reach 200 lbs or about 6 months of age - http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1747&context=iowastate_veterinarian
Depending on the type of cryptorchidism present, the boar may or may not be sterile. I have no idea exactly what type this boar had as I don't know how to diagnose from external features.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ta...v=onepage&q=cryptorchid boar sterile?&f=false
However, based on descriptions here, I would guess that he would have been inquinal and hence likely fertile. http://www.cbra.org.br/pages/public...sues/download/v3n2/AR134 Amann pag108-120.pdf

The only reason this is really interesting is that this is a genetic trait, recessive, that is passed on and so his offspring would have a greater chance of having this.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian should have been a school teacher!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job Brian on the research. I am like you got know what the deal is. Just cause. This happen with people as well. You all will,like this men's scrotums descends and contracts to keep the testes the right temp to make sperm. Animals are the same way.