.223/5.56mm for hogs...

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The hog the you see in my avitar was shot with POF 308 on the run from 80yds. He was running away from me I was surprised how fast they running I was leading him to hit him in the neck. I hit him right in back or his ribs took out his spine. Had to finish behind his left ear with 460 Rowland. So I prefer a bigger caliber than 5.56

PS: I rolled out of a back Gator to shoot him. It was amazing

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd like that to Frank. Still heavy when you add weight difference of the ammo. If I was sitting in a stand or stationary I'd use a .308 but I do to much walking. Plus getting in and out of the truck is much easier with a SBR. Not practical on a .308
You could get a 308 in a SBR.... :)

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At 12.5" I'd be willing to say the 6.8 would be equal to or outperform the .308. Haven't looked at any #'s just saying

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ballistic are similar but you know as well,as I do 30"cal and the weight between 95 gr and 165 gr are big

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just guessing but......... I would say that a 12.5" 308Win would quite easily out preform a 20" 6.8SPCII in re to energy delivered to target animal. --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just guessing but......... I would say that a 12.5" 308Win would quite easily out preform a 20" 6.8SPCII in re to energy delivered to target animal. --- pruhdlr

Note: 7.62 NATO 147 gr at 2756 fps Barrel length unknown for spec, but 19-21" was my guess for the table below (my M1A is 21")

150 gr HPBT Win 748 loaded to a chamber pressure of 56.4K PSI WARM load 45 gr NOT a starting load. I chose 748 as the powder as it is most like NATO powder.

26" = 2918 FPS MP= 6.6K PSI –– 99.6 % powder burnt - 2836 ft/lbs
24" = 2873 FPS MP= 7.4K PSI –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 2750 ft/lbs
22" = 2823 FPS MP= 8.2K PSI –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 2655 ft/lbs
20" = 2766 FPS MP= 9.2K PSI –– 98.7 % powder burnt - 2548 ft/lbs
18" = 2700 FPS MP= 10.5K PSI –––––––––––––––––––––––––––– 2428 ft/lbs
16" = 2623 FPS MP= 12.0K PSI - 97% powder burnt –––– 2291 ft/lbs
14" = 2531 FPS MP= 14.0K PSI –––––––––––––––––––––––––– 2133 ft/lbs
12" = 2417 FPS MP= 16.7K PSI - 94% powder burnt –– 1946 ft/lbs
10" = 2273 FPS MP= 20.5K PSI –––––––––––––––––––––––––– 1721 ft/lbs
8.0"= 2080 FPS MP= 26.0K PSI - 87% powder burnt. - 1441 ft/lbs
6.0"= 1800 FPS MP= 34.1K PSI -79.4% powder burnt -1080 ft lbs

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
IMAG0291.jpg
For the 5.56 I have been using the barnes for several years. My buddy and I shot some hogs, he was using 300blk supers , I was using the tsx 55gr in my 5.56 and the entrance and exit wounds from the barnes were dripping blood all over the place (exit wounds over 1 inch hole), the hogs shot with the 300 blk no blood from entrance and very little from the exit. Now he has the 115 gr ttsx for his 300 blk need to find some hogs to shoot to test them out. I like the 5.56 for fast follow up shots using a suppressor . Goal is to get rid of the hogs for the farmer which has been 100% successful he is happy, I have not seen hogs in 7 mths.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still think the 5.56 is light for hogs especially big hogs but if its what you use the heavier barnes and bonded bullets would be the way to go!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Here is a bigger hog just didn't have pic of damage inside but it didn't go any where :D

Shot on the Waggoner ranch last year outside of Seymour 1 shot
The 5.56 with the barnes tsx is max damage that caliber can do the 53gr, 55gr or 62gr same size exit hole, I have not had a hog get away yet :D
sey2_zps65380f55.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job! Keep shooting you will find a zombie hog soon enough!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think with typical ammo the 223/556 was not the goto weapon to use for hog hunting. However with the advancement of new bullets, hunting loads and especially the Barnes line it can be ethically utilized. My choice of the 6.8 was to give me an edge and more power than the 223/556 which is by far the superior caliber. Hunting ammo in any weapon is close to the same price, the build for my 6.8 was close to a 223/556 and since I am not much of a plinker or paper puncher it was a good decision on my part.

I used to tell people the 223/556 was not adequate for hogs but have since changed my mind with proper ammo selected but still feel the 6.8 is a much better choice.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm going to load some Barnes 5.56 up and see what they do.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The 64gr Nosler bonded work better. I gave up on Barnes bullets last year.
And Im not having much luck either, I did get those Varmint granades to work, but it took a bit to find that load. The 55TTSX and 62TTSX will shoot 1.125-1.25" 100yd groups but I need to work on the speed. Both like to go slow, inside 100 its not an issue, but when they are dropping under the LOV at 200 it rankles a little.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I may give those 64 Noslers a shot. I shot four hogs this past weekend with my 60 Nosler BT's that I have been having great success with. Did not recover any of them. They were all body shots at 220 yards. I had a sounder come out into my hay field and the suppressor must have confused them. They looked like Jim Bulushi in Animal House hopping around trying to figure out where the noise was comming from. I was laughing to hard to try and make a head shot.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I keep saying I need to get my 6.8 night ready. Just been too busy and I had good luck until I pushed the limits of my tools. It works fine for single hogs or if you just want to kill one in the group, but if I was going after the whole sounder I'll take my 6.8 over the 5.56.