220 lb Depredating Boar on Terraced Hillside

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We spied this lone boar way out in the field, rooting the hell out of it. He was preoccupied and we were able to make a long approach and get up to shoot. The opening shot was very good, but the hog wasn't aware of just how badly he was injured and took off. So a series of followup shots were made to cause enough distress to suppress the success of the egress process...

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One question . . . . after the first shot,if you know he is hit good,and he is out in the middle of a field,a long way (150yds or so) from any brush/tree line,why do you feel it is necessary for follow up shots ??
NOT being critical of your hunting methods . . . . just wondering if I am doing something wrong.
I shoot a 6.8 using the Barnes 85gr. TSX @ 3100fps. --- pruhdlr

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One question . . . . after the first shot,if you know he is hit good,and he is out in the middle of a field,a long way (150yds or so) from any brush/tree line,why do you feel it is necessary for follow up shots ??
NOT being critical of your hunting methods . . . . just wondering if I am doing something wrong.
I shoot a 6.8 using the Barnes 85gr. TSX @ 3100fps. --- pruhdlr
Shoot till they are down. I've seen to many well hit hogs make the trees.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shoot till they are down. I've seen to many well hit hogs make the trees.

No matter how far away that the trees are!

I have played that game, shoot a hog well, knowing it was a good shot, and watched him disappear in to the distance. You may shoot a hog well, and still have a bullet that fails to do the damage that you want/need for the hog to drop quickly. Do you know if a hog is going to run 20 yards, 100, 200, 400, or half a mile? What if that well placed shot actually managed to miss the vitals? It happens.

It is the same sort of mentality mistake made by a lot of people engaging in gun battles. They think that because the person they shot in the chest is going to die, they stop shooting, only to have that person kill them.

Shoot until the threat is eliminated.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That was an impressive, aggressive, and comprehensive effort representative of a progressive and extensive offensive without being excessive.

Not to be obsessive nor digressive, of course …

I tried to fit immunosuppressive in somehow, but I couldn't make it work. :D

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dandy hog!! Come and see the egress!! Funny stuff. Lots of thuds and that is such a fine sound!! BANG BANG!!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another great video and hog kill. You're on a roll sir

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good team effort on the hog - no chance to exit alive. Congrats all...

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and nice hog down!!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Unfortunately, there isn't always time for them, particular on group hunts where we are hitting several properties and the goal is to spot, get in, shoot, and get to the next place, ASAP.

Ya, sometimes I get in trouble with hunting buds for trying to get photos.

D

djones

It is the same sort of mentality mistake made by a lot of people engaging in gun battles. They think that because the person they shot in the chest is going to die, they stop shooting, only to have that person kill them.
possible, but how in the world would you know that? could be that they quit shooting because someone else killed them.