2 down with Shooter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Shooter came to hunt the orchards with T-Bone Outfitters and it was a DARK night. We had clear skies, but zero sign of a moon until almost 3am. It made it hard to spot hogs beyond 300 yards while in the truck.

We didn't see much until after 0100. We drove the typical loop of all the properties and the hogs just weren't moving. It was 100 degrees earlier that day and didn't drop below 85 until a little past midnight.

At about 0130 Shooter and I were creeping accross a land bridge that connects an orchard and field that a slew divides. We were heading to the field because it has a pig pipe, bait hole, and scratching post at the edge of it. We got about halfway across the bridge when I spotted a sounder of 8 younger hogs. They were about 150 yards away and slowly walking in a freshly plowed field. They were making their way to the pig pipe and we were there to protect it.

We got to 40 yards and Shooter dropped the hammer and hogs started running. Yes.... I said Shooter dropped the hammer. I bring this up because I was supposed to shoot too, but someone else didn't do the count down. All I got was a "ready, take 'em, BOOM". So I'm scrambling to find a target after the shot. I managed to tag one smaller hog and Shooter got a decent sow.

I think if there would have been a little more ambient light we would have cleaned them out. But, this was a small field and the hogs were gone in instant.

Glad you made it to hunt Shooter. Looking forward to you coming back.

20130831_021612.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good eatin' hogs there, congrats!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice... snouts appear shorter, a little more domestic breed in there?

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Could be more domestic. They were an overall smaller and younger group too.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those were the only two that we got, but we saw a lot more. Fortunately for them they were on property that we did not have permission to shoot on-and there were a lot of them and there were several very large ones.

Was probably one of the darkest nights I have seen for a while. Had to use the illum just to get a shot-and Alex is right, I never could count.

In addition to the hunt I got to meet both Samson and Jenny, his two pit bulls-and his wife. His hospitality was excellent and appreciated.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ol' "No Count" Shooter... red-lights at the starting line. LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No count is no big deal. It made me wake up and shoot!!!! LOL! I got in touch with my landowner and he is trying to get me on the spot that all the hogs were on. Hopefully it works out. My landowner has lived there his entire life and knows everyone, but the land has changed hands a few times recently. The last owner told me no, but it turns out someone else owns it now. Maybe I will have a chance to get some hunters on it. The hogs are ALWAYS there.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Who knows? Kit-Kat-Kid stuck. LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Shooter you should have stayed the second night. See my new thread.