1st Hog Taken With Pulsar XD38A Thermal Scope

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay, so my daughter is allowing me to use her gun for testing and evaluation on TCT products and we put this new Pulsar on it. This scope, as far as I know, was the model that broke the sub $3000 barrier for thermal rifle scopes. It is a pretty nifty 1.5x native magnification thermal scope. It will digitally zoom to 6x. Part of what I really like about it is the ability to have Picture in Picture (PiP) mode. I had used it previously when getting to use a prototype Apex XD50 a few months ago. The PiP allowed for both zoomed precision shooting and wide FOV for tracking running animals more easily. Not only does it have this mode, but you can toggle between it and the full image that can also be zoomed to a different level, which is what I did this evening.

So I have had these hogs coming in irregularly and I have been out something like 6 of the last 10 nights trying to get a chance at the loner sow or a sounder. I had plans to stay all night as the sounder usually will not show up until around 3:00 am. The loner sow shows up anywhere between 10:00 PM and 5:00 AM. Tonight, I got lucky and she showed up early.

As I am trying to get new video as part of testing the new scope, twice I thought I had messed up as I watched the hog walk away. Y'all have seen some of my previous videos where there is less than 10 seconds of video before I drop the animal. I just hate the idea of of losing the animal when I had a chance to shoot it. Fortunately, it came back after leaving each time. She was skittish, but not skittish enough.

I was surprised to find her soaking wet and covered in mud. She showed up on thermal pretty well despite being so wet. The little Alexander Arms Incursion 16" upper did a good job launching the Hornady 123 gr. SST ammo that traversed the body a bit more than 18" before exiting.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, looks like things work just fine!!! Nice porker! BANG BANG!!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice review, good shooting and top notch video as always.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good to see AB got his lazy butt out of his nest and showed to lend a hand. That PiP is definitely a nice feature. Nice chootin' there B. Thanks for bringing us along for that hunt.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good vid ... thanks for posting. The pulsar thermal line looks good for the money.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great job Brian!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, gshock, the Armasight Predator and Pulsar Apex lines are not going to blow your socks off with amazing imagery, not compared to the 640 resolution product lines out there. They just don't have the resolution for the amazing views and videos, but what they are are very functional thermal scopes for hunters who typically shoot don't much over 100 yards and virtually never shoot over 200 yards at night. That probably includes 95% of us. The bottom line is that they will get the job done and at this price, do it more cost effectively, which is perfect for those of us who don't have the money, want, or need for top end gear, but still want to be safe and productive night hunters. I also think that these prices will get additional hunters involved with night hunting as well.

It still amazes me that you can get either of these scopes for less than the cost of a FLIR PS32 or Eotech/L3 X320 spotting scope, and both are more capable than these spotting scopes, not to mention being weapon mountable!

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like the PIP for moving targets, the wide FOV lets you acquire targets, and the PIP allows you to zoom in on them.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of these days I'm going to build a Grendel upper and it's going to be your fault. Those 123 gr SST's seem to think they are a partition or bonded core bullet out of that gun.
Yea, I blame my Zeus 3x 75mm thermal on Brian, but the Grendel is on me. There are several Grendel shooters on the site now besides Brian.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice Brian! Thanks for posting

Bob Abbott

LSB Member
Nice job with the video and congrats on the hog! You did a good job demoing the PIP function and the zoom. I had the Apex 50a out for a bit last to get familiar with it. I will be be on a 4 day coyote hunt in the UP here in Michigan and I will have a better chance to evaluate it then.

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice vid Brian, and good shot.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A sub 3k thermal. Not a bad picture for a budget priced unit. I may have to look into one of these.... Great shoot.

Also a Grendel shooter here, Well a 264LBC but close enough. Shoots Grendel ammo. Very impressed with the accuracy and is a nice diversion from the 458 SOCOM. My 2 go to calibers anymore.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A sub 3k thermal. Not a bad picture for a budget priced unit. I may have to look into one of these.... Great shoot.

Also a Grendel shooter here, Well a 264LBC but close enough. Shoots Grendel ammo. Very impressed with the accuracy and is a nice diversion from the 458 SOCOM. My 2 go to calibers anymore.
I was looking at the 264LBC barrels on ***, but they had match chambers that were .002" tighter, and wouldn't accept Hornady factory ammo. I reload, but not acceptable for a hunting rifle, IMO. I have a standard Grendel barrel, and Type 2 bolt, I'll probably build another with Type 2 bolt.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My 264 shoots HDY 6.5G factory ammo just fine. Both the 20" and the 10.5". Have not had any problems shooting it at all. Might be the Black Hole Weaponry chamber. Shot a .6" group with it using Black hills ammo.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
*** had a special reamer made that was .002" smaller than the standard for some reason???? At least that's what it sounds like on the website. Maybe great for punching paper, maybe not for real life hunting situations FTF, FTE issues possibly, I don't know. He says it won't chamber factory Hornady SST123's.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
*** had a special reamer made that was .002" smaller than the standard for some reason???? At least that's what it sounds like on the website. Maybe great for punching paper, maybe not for real life hunting situations FTF, FTE issues possibly, I don't know. He says it won't chamber factory Hornady SST123's.
Hmm, Black hills ammo makes some very nice ammo for the 264lbc. I can't recall right off hand but I think they load a hdy 123sst. I know they load a 123amax. That is what I shot the .6 group with. It was the last 5 Sounds I had of that ammo so I cannot tell if it was repeatable yet or not. The factory hdy 6.5g sst and amax shoot below 1". I have not worked up any loads myself yet. That is next.

Sorry op for the hijack.