1st Cleveland property hunt

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
(My brother is about to have another baby, and he will probably get just 1 night to hunt before the baby comes and after that, he's gonna be on lockdown for a good while. So I probably won't hunt it again until he's gotten to go out there for a night. Plus, he's the one who got us access to this other property that's much much closer than my dad's--5 hr drive compared to 1 hr).
So I went out there today to scout, hang a bucket feeder, and put out a roll barrel. The place is loaded with muddy rubbed trees and hog tracks. Also, I almost got bit by a 2 ft water mocassin while walking through swampy grass while scouting. Luckily I saw it before stepping on it. It struck at me to let me know it was serious while I was reaching for my pistol but I was a few feet back already. Anyways, I finished up just before dark so I decided to stay. I got set up in a position where I could see 2 bait spots then walk about 30 yds and see the other 2 bait spots. I heard hogs in the trees very close 3 or 4 times before 11 pm, when finally a sounder of about 10 came out to feed on a pile of corn that I put out. After figuring out which pig seemed to be he alpha sow, I took a quartering towards shot from about 65 yds. Bullet entered neck and exited just behind the opposite shoulder. Coulda gotten a couple more but didn't want to so my brother has better chances when he goes in the next week or two. #170 DRT 120 grain 6.8 sst.
PS Mosquitos were horrible tonight. (Pic is of my sling side shoulder which presses my shirt onto my skin so the Mosquitos can bite through the shirt. ... And the Benadryl is kicking in.. Good night all and be safe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 23

Tanner

Oh Boy! I can't wait! Great story, wish I was there. I'm glad you got one. Thanks for getting everything set up!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story. I am always scared that a snake will get me that is why I invested in a good pair of snake boots as far as the skeeters get a thermacell and use the earth scent pads. Does a great job creating a bubble that skeeters avoid and isn't as potent to animals noses when compared to off.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, you got the hog the skeeters got you, I hate them and when wearing a bug suit they are very hot! Snake boots!!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good hog. I ran in to rattlesnakes two nights in a row while elk hunting last month, glad we don't have water moccasins too.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice. It looks like you are at the right place. Thanks for posting. Nice porker. BANG BANG!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice sow. I refer to those as a "Snake with Turret's Syndrome". Congrats.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
great story! great hunt. I bet you took a few trophy class mosquitos as well!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job. Mosquitoes are the reason I don't get out as much in the summer.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those are some bad arse skeeters. Great hogs nice shooten

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The pics of the mosquito bites don't do justice.I wore a mosquito net over my head face and neck, and had a netted "3d" long sleeve camo jacket over my t shirt and they were still biting through. I inhaled more Mosquitos than I can count when I would pull the skeeter net of my face to see better. They were flying around like swarms of gnats... Ok sorry for bein a dramatic highschool girl...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate it when they are that thick!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I remember those days growing up in Wisconsin, glad we don't have many here in NM. Even when I was at the lease in West Texas it wasn't too bad, back in August.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This summer at work was amazing. Skeeters were only around (where I was) for only about a week, and got bit only ONCE ! Used bug dope only once too. Loved it... and warm/sunny at home while on R&R too.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
therma cell

say it with me, therma .......cell.........

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
therma cell

say it with me, therma .......cell.........
I've wondered about those, I'm hearing mixed reports of effectiveness by Alaskans.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Alaskan mosquitoes probably grow on the chemicals in a thermacell.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

marineimaging

LSB Member
I thought Texas mosquitoes in Pt. Arthur and Orange swamps were bad when I was growing up. Alaska mosquitoes grow on anything, attack anything, eat anything, and carry off full grown bull moose (or is it meese?). I was in the Coast Guard stationed in Ketchikan, AK. We used to have to repair the navigation lights on shore. They were BIG, they were hungry, and they knew how to sneak in under netting and drank deet like it was Kool-Aid!