1st can help

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Think I have it narrowed down. Its going on a 16" 308 AR platform used for hunting. Most of my hunting is stand hunting with some stalking. Heres what I liked.
Q trash panda
Q thunder chicken
Griffin Explor ex3
Recce 7

Right now I have a PWS brake on the rifle and its stupid loud. I want to be able to hunt without having to wear muffs and want something light and maneuverable. Open to other suggestions as well

Last edited:

geminigroup

you should look into YHM with a changeable end you can use a variety of qd mounts, the price is great and they are built very well. An under stated brand.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Its very hard to tell based off online videos. Silencershop.com has the Trash Panda making the 308 quieter than the Thunder Chicken in its vids. In my mind a longer can with more baffles would do better

geminigroup

I have a class 3 Manufacturer's licence. I have built and destroyed many cans. The greater the volume, length or diameter, the less noise IF the can has a good baffle system. That said they are almost all good today. You can not tell anything from a video ( there mic, your speaker, your ears, the recording device built in limiters )and shame on anyone who prompts that. Remember, be honest about your use, expectations of db, and try not to get caught up in the latest greatest net guy craze. I have a surefire, yhm, REBEL SOS ( al 250.00 can crapper ), Recce, and Thunder and to be honest they are all about the same db. From what you are looking at my experience with the recce 7 is it locks up tight and did not back off, did not lock on,repeatability on and off was good and only impact change was a tad high, all things to consider. The db thing is nit pick stuff the other issues i mentioned are what make you go OH NO why did i buy this can... Pull the Trigger pssst

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just my 02¢ regarding the Omega. I have one and think in terms of repeatability its fine. db's are fine, weight and size are fine. The issue I have with it is the QD system. The ASR system is notoriously crappy and, according to internet lore, they have come off. I just direct thread and have had to retighten on several occasions when I have remembered to check. Seems no matter how much I torque that thing down, it manages to loosen up.
Anyway, maybe Im not doing something right but seems like I've heard this complaint before.

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Happy with my Thunder Chicken.

Rookie

LSB Member
My first can was a Griffin Optimus. I didn't want to have different mounts, so I stuck with the taper mount. Griffin sells an adapter for my Omega that uses their taper mount. It's rock solid.