18650 Batteries

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Trying to get inputs on experiences with 18650 batteries.

There is finally an analyzer out there, the BT-C3100:

medium.jpg

I read reviews on Candlepower forums, seems to be fairly accurate at measuring capacity, voltage, etc., it is also a charger. It will do numerous types, but I really wanted for the 18650 and 14500 batteries, as I use a different analyzer for AA's.

I haven't went through my stock of 18650's yet, but I did measure some Ultrafire 5000mah batteries, for the most part they really hold only about 1000mah charge.

I also did some 3000mah Ultrafires, they got around the same, with one measuring 1800mah.

I read that AW 18650 batteries are the best, but they are also expensive, so you get what you pay for.

Interested in what others like, think?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got my attention, I haven't started acquiring this gear yet.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Supposedly Panasonic makes the cells for the AW batteries as well as other top batteries.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave, ok going to buy one, says these batteries
AA(LR6) and AAA(LR3) NiCd, NiMH or 3.7v Li-ion rechargeable batteries in size type of 10440, 14500, 16340, 18500, 26650, 26500

but not the 18650??

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Duh...thanks..that the best price? or another one close to that you would rather have?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Panasonic 3400mah cells http://www.illumn.com/batteries-cha...650-panasonic-3400mah-ncr18650b-flat-top.html

Use code illumination to get a discount, usually around 34.00 for 4 of them plus shipping, I got them for under $40 for 4 delivered.
The panasonics are the raw cell most companies use, others won't deliver on the rated capacity on the battery label but people buy them all the time.
orbtronic, panasonic are what I have found to deliver on the printed specs, based on the current draw of the device and the expected runtimes, I do not have a dedicated tester.

These are not protected, so you need a good charger and a device that will not keep discharging them below 2.4volts, the armasight power supply fits the bill.
It cuts out at 4.8 volts, which is around 2.4 volts per cell.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Sounds good on the Panasonic, I'm going to have to get some, thanks.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have only been using the protected 18650 and for lights.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah I have never paid that much for a battery, I have 20 lights to feed and the ones I use are great for them

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have a ton of lights, headlights, etc. Which 18650's were you using Frank?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The blue and the energy white 5000Mah ones I sent you the links on and some red 3000Mah. . I drop a battery in the garage and it is gone, only had one go bad w/o dropping. I have been using them over 5 years now I guess

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I checked the reviews on the 5000mah Energy batteries, didn't find anything good on them, but you can check with the analyzer when you get it.