yea, didn't see this coming.

marineimaging

LSB Member
We have a Capybara living in the waste water treatment plant. I see him a few times a month down in the **** ponds swimming around. Zoo escapee, F&G said he is off limits. Biggest damn squirrel you have ever seen.
That looks almost exactly like Nutria Rats we hunt in the swamps with one exception. The Capybara has no tail and the Nutria has a substantial hairless tail. Both have two big front teeth though from what I see.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Neither one is an attractive animal

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That looks almost exactly like Nutria Rats we hunt in the swamps with one exception. The Capybara has no tail and the Nutria has a substantial hairless tail. Both have two big front teeth though from what I see.
Yup, except the Capybara is 200lbs and almost 6' long. BIG damn squirrel. Scares the hell out of the WW guys when they have to go clean ponds and this guy pops out! How big do the Nutria get? I thought they were fairly small, 15-20lbs?

marineimaging

LSB Member
Definitely NOT 200 lbs! By Gollies! LOL Reminds me of when my brother and I were fishing one day in a swampy area on the Neches River. We had an old 12 horse Montgomery Ward Sea King we had resurrected out of a junkyard and fixed up on a home made plywood boat. I was sitting in the drivers seat facing forward and he was sitting on the deck facing me. All of a sudden I saw something rise up directly in front of the boat just a foot or two from my brothers back. It was the head of a 12 -15 ft Anaconda. All I could do was try to point and wrap the starter rope around the flywheel at the same time. He finally figured out what I was trying to say and turned around. His hand was only about 6 inches from that humongous head. Two steps at 6ft each and he was sitting on the danged motor with me trying to start it. I finally got him off of it and started the motor, threw it in reverse and tried backing up full throttle. He was screaming and cussing. I was screaming and whipping the motor back and forth, and the motor was screaming and blue smoke boiling out the exhaust, all for nothing because we were still tied to the stump where the snake was wrapped around. And I am not kidding when I say it looked like it would have been screaming if it could. I finally let him take the tiller and I crawled up to the front of the boat and sawed the rope loose with my rusty knife. We hauled it out of that swamp as fast as that old Sea King would go and to this day I have never been back to that place.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is funny a video of that and you 2 would have been famous!

201lb Capybara holds the known record in the wild...

marineimaging

LSB Member
I read my original post and now I have to say with TWO exceptions. A nutria has a tail and a Capybara weighs 200 POUNDS. Have you ever tried to eat one? In the summer my brother and I and our best friend would camp out on the bayou for 2-3 weeks at a time. We used to shoot the nutria and sell them to a fellow that owned the fish camp. If we shot them only in the head AND with a .22 he would give us 25 cents apiece. If we shot them anywhere in the body or with our .410 he would only give us a nickel. After we became adults I finally found out why. At the time I didn't care because we could shoot enough in a couple of hours to fill up our Mile Master gas can with leaded regular and a quart of oil, plus a root beer and bag of peanuts each.

I recalled he was cooking the meat for his 20-30 hounds he raised and sold. What we later found out was he was tube skinning them and selling the furs for $5.00-$10.00 each in Louisiana. If we punched the skin it was of no value except for the meat. Just goes to show that you can believe yourself a sucker, or you can enjoy sitting in the shade on a hot summer afternoon carefully pouring your salty peanuts in an ice cold root beer and nursing the salty sweet cold drink until it was time to go back fishing again. Life is full of choices and full of rewards. Just depends on what you want.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This one was an escapee from the local zoo, he was 190lbs+/- when he got out 4 years ago according to the game warden.

marineimaging

LSB Member
I guess if something escapes from the zoo and doesn't have a mate the problem will eventually evaporate away. Then, some kid will find the bones and call the newspaper that will print the story of prehistoric creature that lived in woods behind their house millions of years ago..., to eventually be visited by Bill Nye the Science Guy who will state once again such evidence proves the prehistoric land bridge between Australia and the Africa and the Americas and the north and south poles, and once again, that God is made up by a bunch of ignorant, gun toting, Bible thumpers. (Hey, wait just a minute! I represent that remark, by gollies!) LOL