WWII Cattaraugus 225Q Knife

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have had this for years, it was Dad's and I never ID'd it, so looked into it this week.

It was my Dad's carried as a Navy fighter pilot, he also had one made from a Spanish saber from the Spanish American War.

Found t a WWII Cattaraugus 225Q
There were a lot of these made and it will probably never have tremendous collector value. They are one of the best combat/survival knives ever made. Contrary to the common story they were not made for opening crates. There were crowbars for that. They were bought by the quartermaster corp as a secondary standard. They bought a lot of "hunting" knives to meet wartime demands. Sometimes this was even called a commando knife. It is beefier than either the MKII/Kabar or the M3 fighting knife. The large textured pommel could be used for hammering in a pinch. The handle is better than either the MKII or the M3.

For strictly as a user. Do a little work on the handle with saddle soap. Get it wet and sort of hammered on the leather washers to get them to swell. That will tightened it up. The handles were always somewhat rough. The "left hand" sheath was not particularly for a left-handed user. It was designed to be carried on your left so that you could carry something more critical (like your pistol) on your right side.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Add in a good dose of Neetsfoot oil to the sheath to keep the leather from cracking, and to keep it supple. Needs a date with a sharpening stone too. LOL Nice knife there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah RD, has been in a drawer for 30 years untouched, about time to treat it right. The sheath snap is busted and has cracks, was going to give it to a friend to make a Kydex sheath for it maybe.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I "HAD" one. I found it in my Dad's stuff. I cleaned it up and put a good edge on it. I had it in the glove box of my truck. My son borrowed my truck and the knife disappeared. Still P.O.'d about this.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hate borrowers w no return!
Talk about a stout knife, I think I will put an edge on it and use hunting since there is no real collector value

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah RD, has been in a drawer for 30 years untouched, about time to treat it right. The sheath snap is busted and has cracks, was going to give it to a friend to make a Kydex sheath for it maybe.
New snap... is a "snap" to install. Go to Tandy leather for a kit.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My son didn't take it. One of his heathen friends took it, or he left the truck unlocked and someone stole it. I had that knife looking good and sharp too!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I just sharpened it, the snap is a small piece of leather w a snap on the end, just slides in, no leather here though. I did notice while cleaning and moisturizing the sheath is dry rotted and has a tear in the front, new one is 19.99 on ebay.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I just sharpened it, the snap is a small piece of leather w a snap on the end, just slides in, no leather here though. I did notice while cleaning and moisturizing the sheath is dry rotted and has a tear in the front, new one is 19.99 on ebay.
Two options, keep this one "as is" if it has sentimental value and buy a new sheath for your use... or, the tear can be mended, as can the leather missing for the other half of the snap. IF having the "original" remaining serviceable (and still having the aged look) is important to you. More than one way to go.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are right RD, not sure this is not dry rotted and I should keep it in the drawer, just get another one to use...that way it does not get any worse.

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
God that brings back memories! My Dad was a jarhead and fought at Inchon. He had one just like it. What I wouldn't give for it now...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dad was a Navy pilot, not sure if it was issued or he traded or was given it. As expensive as the Randall's are I wish it was one of them.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Beautiful.

If Thor carried a blade, this would be the one.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still need to get a sheath, they sell replicas on ebay, left or right carry