Wow... didn't expect that news

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been watching the news reports of the huge land slide in Oso, 55 mi. northeast of Seattle. Happened just as I was leaving town to go to work.

A buddy of mine just called, told me that Ron deQ. hasn't been found yet. Didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Turns out Ron is one of the "still missing". He had texted his wife that morning, telling her he was arriving at the job site, and that he'd text her later. He was doing some wiring at a house that was one of them taken out in the slide. My buddy and I grew up with Ron. He's of Indonesian/Dutch descent. His family worked the mission field in Indonesia, his folks now work the area of the Cambodia/Thailand border. They've come home to be with family as they await news.

Haven't seen Ron in decades, but one never expects to learn that a name they know is among the missing in a disaster.

My buddy's daughter is a hair stylist, and had an appt. that was a no-show. She called and left her a message "sorry I missed you, please feel free to reschedule at your convenience..." at her home. Gets a call back from the gal. She was the young mother who was rescued with her 4mos. old baby, right after the slide. She's in the hospital with both legs broken.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was wondering if that was close to you. Sorry about your friend...

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, I used to ride motorcycle passed that slide area quite often. Used to be some awfully purdy country along that road. I think it's just west of there, is a filling station that has a gazebo... which has a wooden wheel (like a wagon wheel) that has old boots mounted on it. People pose infront of it to look like they're getting their butt kicked when it spins.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They said it was a know unstable area and had been expected to slide, what were the homeowners to do after that? I would think there would be a lawsuit against the State for allowing them to build there.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another family is facing the same problem. A portion of their property just slid away (large portion), the new cliff is just 60 ft. from their back door now. The talk I heard on the news is that logging in the area caused springs to surface, which is washing away the soil. Don't know how much of it is just left-wing agenda/propaganda fodder.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's official, the remains of Ron deQuilettes, 52 have been recovered/identified. His work van has been found, and searchers are kind enough to gather as many of his tools as possible (cataloging them for return). His kids are wanting his favorite hammer, or another of his favorite tools.

His wife was taken up to the slide, to view the area his van was found, and the general lay of things. She apparently posted up on social media that she is at peace, a peace coming from God at this time.

All 39 of the recovered remains have been ID'd, 4 people are still missing.

The continued rainfall is threatening the effectiveness of the search/recovery efforts. The dyke built could be overtaken by rising waters.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20140417/NEWS01/140419152

A side note to this tragedy. A young soldier from Joint Base Lewis/McChord (nephew of two of the victims of Oso) had helped in the search efforts. A few days ago, his truck was found parked in the woods (near Olympia, m'be 80 miles south of Seattle?). Searchers found his body, apparent suicide. He was 20, and was from Wasilla, AK.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20140415/NEWS03/140419326

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Again my sympathies, glad they recovered him for the family.