Will This 'Dog Hunt?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got a tentative invite for opening day of elk season. Three days' worth of camping, and stomping in the brush. It's spike only, I think it's just on the east side of the Cascade Mountains... so, the chance of dry weather is better than being on the western side.

Wall tent (w/wood stove), cot, bag... no roughing it. Time to shake out the gear for my day pack. Always carry emergency shelter makings, personal size stove/canteen, first aid kit, compass/signal mirror/flashlights , water purification/filter, knives/'hawk... also have reserve battery charging for the cell phone, and a personal sized solar/battery pack. Should be GTG for emergency coms.

Guess it's time to make a second set of pacing beads to give to my buddy. And, I should be able to fit into my hunting clothes again ! Time to shake out/launder that gear too. Have scent killer detergent already, need to snag some water proofing for it.

.30-30 is GTG, I get 1-2" groups at 100yds w/iron sights.
6.8 is GTG, Vortex Viper 2-7x32 gives me sub MOA groups at 100 yds.
.30-06 (both) need proving. I swapped stocks on each one, haven't had them to the range since (they're out).
.45-70 is still NIB, but may tag along to test fire it (finally).

Been five long years since I've been in the sticks to hunt, seven/eight years since I've looked for elk. I need this outing. Sounds pretty solid, but still tentative for now.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good luck. Now maybe you can have some meat for chili. I would lean more towards the 06 just in case.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go get 1 RD, that sounds great!

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go for it. No better way to clear your head. Looking forward to the stories.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The "Ghost of the Forest". Love elk hunting! Keep the wind in your face and if you think your going too slow..slow down some more. Man they disappear into thin air! Have fun!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Indeed, I try to wear soft sounding clothing, do a slow/careful walk, and perch on a stump with my back to a tree while just listening and scanning.

The last time I elk hunted, never saw one live elk, but, eyeballed 8 different does that day. Hands in pocket with my Hoochie Mamma cow call brought them right up to me. Looked right at me, but couldn't see me... from about 20' away. The hunter orange vest didn't give me away either. I had a ball, just sitting there against that tree and giving the cow call a gentle squeak each time they'd start to lose interest. I was about 50' off the logging road they'd been travelling, and had stopped to just hang out for a while. The call brought them off the road, and to me as they searched for the source of the sound. Too bad, it wasn't legal deer season then, I could've had my choice of does that day. Two different groups of four deer, 8 pairs of eyes/ears/nostrils couldn't find me that day. I've worried about the orange, especially non-camo orange, but my concerns were put to rest that day. I roll up loose tails for pack straps and secure them, the fewer chances for them to see movement, the better.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice... back to being able to comfortably wear nearly all of my hunting gear. The only stuff not fitting is stuff I bought/wore (right out of the academy) 30 yrs. ago. It's hunting gear laundry day! Found a couple of things I'd forgotten I had (always nice)

Hunting boots are soaking up their first coat of water proofing oil, more to come.

Previously, tie wraps secured the loose straps, going through and cutting those, I now use stretch bands I cut from various diameter bicycle inner tubes. Sturdy, quick, cheap, functional... and, when they break, they make for fire starter material.

My hunting pack WAS state of the art 20yrs. ago, and still works great. A local (WA State) company called Nimrod. The foundation of the pack is a generous sized fanny pack with shoulder straps too. To that, a main pack body with an internal frame clips on with side release buckles. Various accessory pouches can be added (bino, pistol holster, rifle scabbard, etc.) as desired. The buckles have colored dots to help you know (quickly) which buckles connect which things. The foundation pack is camo, the pack body is black Cordura nylon. The pouches are matching camo to the foundation pack.
THE WILDERNESS PACK SYSTEM IS A COMBINATION OF THE PINNACLE PACK AND OUR COLLAPSIBLE GEAR BAG. NOW WITH ADDED SIDE POCKETS!

yhst-140504033564025_2388_43592348
yhst-140504033564025_2388_43541150

I generally try to keep critical need items on my person (pockets), essential need items in the foundation pack, and incidentals (game bags, additional line, etc.) in the pack body (room to stuff my coat/layers) so it's mostly bulky, but lighter weight stuff.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Outstanding opportunity for you RD. hope you kill something, but if you don't it will still be worth the trip. I loved elk hunting until I killed my last bull. I don't think I am up to that much work again.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After the kill the work begins for sure. First thing before gutting is tying off one leg to something.... when it's smacking you in the head and pushing you over while trying to work gets frustrating real quick!! Personally I don't gut unless I have the ability to load in a truck whole, like if you have friends there and can get your vehicle close. Otherwise, quartering is certainly the best way to go. Packing out quarters very far is a good workout!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I remember all too clearly my first thought after dropping my first Alaskan moose: "What the heck did I do THAT for?!" Five hours to gut/skin/quarter (knives only) it out. Dad was working his own at the same time. I matched him in the amount of time it took (pretty proud of that), but his was a purdier job. LOL Thankfully, it was Thanksgiving Day (100 miles north of Kotzebue, AK) and was -10F and breezy. Parked the sled right next to the pile and loaded it all in... headed over and loaded dad's too. Love snowmobile hunting.

Regardless, I always bleed/gut immediately, and prop open the chest cavity to get it cooling. Throw a hind quarter on my back, I'll feel like I did a year ago. LOL