Which one first?

Jefe

LSB Member
So I've decided to start saving up for a good hog rig. I've decided on the Modern Outfitters 6.8 & most likely either an Armasight Apollo or Predator. (Thermal could change)

The question is which should come first! I've got a 5.56/.223 rig right now that's G2G but a bit underpowered (even with 75gr BTHP). Hence the 6.8. But.... I'm limited to day hunting which is also less than ideal.

Help me LSB. What would you do? (BTW... It'll take me a year to save for either.)

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you are limited to day hunting, I'd for for the gun over the thermal.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You can get a good 6.8 upper from Blackstone Arms here on the lonestarboars.com However that would slow down the process of getting a thermal unit. Shot opertunities will go up quite a bit with a thermal unit and a 5.56 will still put them down with good shot placement.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just get a 6.8 upper or if you don't need the 556 get it re tooled with a barrel and bolt to the 6.8..that way it leaves you more money toward the thermal

Jefe

LSB Member
If you are limited to day hunting, I'd for for the gun over the thermal.

My current set up is what's limiting me to day time only hunts. That's the argument for the thermal. But I had to take a less than ideal shot on a hog this weekend, and that bastard (150ish lbs) did not want to die. Much less if he had been a big fella. That's the argument for the 6.8.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get a 6.8 upper, keep your 556 upper and swap them when you feel an itch to use one or the other.
I shot 4 hogs and 3 coyotes this weekend and recovered 2 hogs only. Used both 556 and 6.8, never know if you will recover tough critters in thick country.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My current set up is what's limiting me to day time only hunts. That's the argument for the thermal. But I had to take a less than ideal shot on a hog this weekend, and that bastard (150ish lbs) did not want to die. Much less if he had been a big fella. That's the argument for the 6.8.

Gotcha! I misunderstood your statement. The .223/5.56 is a bit underpowered for decent sized hogs. But, since you've at least got a gun, I'd probably go for the thermal first and upgrade your gun later. You can use your .223/5.56 with a thermal until you can save up for a 6.5. Just take a full 30 or 40 round magazine when you go.

If DJ offers to sell you a 6.8 on the cheap, don't fall for it!!! It would be best used as a paperweight.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Get the thermal first. I rarely see hogs during the day. You can have the best gun in the world, but if you don't have targets hunting turns into watching the leaves fall.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As for thermal/rig first? That's a tough one... but, you HAVE a rig now. But, I wouldn't opt for an unknown flavor of a 6.8. I strongly agree with having Eric with Blackstone Arms build you a 6.8 upper with an *** barrel/bolt combo. Add a muzzle device and 6.8 mags and that's all you need to swap the upper over and have a 6.8 rig.

For the optic... rattle BigRedDog's cage (********) with *******************.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Definitely thermal first - it's a game changer. I've got several friends that use thermals on their 556 and do ok. Plus, once you drop the big coin on thermal having Eric at Blackstone Arms build you a 6.8 upper will seem like a drop in the bucket!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What I would do? For about $600 Sightmark Photon Digital NV to start with. Put it on your 556. Like RD said, get a 6.8 upper built. Another lower can follow after the thermal purchase. As fanninland said Thermal is a game changer, however the Photon will get you in the game sooner then later. Also If your going to jump into the thermal game a 38 or 42 mm unit is far better then the 25 Predator. I have a zues 42 mm and now wish I had saved a bit more for the 75 mm.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wouldn't bother with the photon. Save the $600 and put it towards a thermal unit you will stick with for many years. Buy once, cry once is what many people told me before I realized I was wasting money on the cheap stuff and was never truly happy with the performance.

Slap a thermal on the 5.56 and go blasting hogs for a while. Smile the whole time you're doing it with a quality thermal. Buy a 6.8 down the road and then smile a little more when the two come together and you get to see the hogs drop a little faster. Oh, if you don't have a suppressor, it should be your 3rd big purchase. They are the best shooting accessorie I have ever purchased.

Jefe

LSB Member
It seems like the consensus would be to get the thermal first. I'm looking to save up between 3k-4k. Thoughts on what model I should go with....