what is the best hog hunting rifle

DMW ALERT66

I am new to this forum, I have been hunting pigs for a some time and got my first pig thanksgiving and I used a 556 rifle for that hunt. But I would like some advice on what rifle I should git. a 308 or a 45-70, or some thing better?

Attachments

• IMG_2197 (1).JPG
    IMG_2197 (1).JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 2

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lots of good options and it depends on your hunting style.

Spot and stalk, look at the AR-15 in 6.8 or 7.62x39. I use a 6.8. The .308 in AR-10 is good as well but can get heavy with a full mag and optics.

For regular blind hunting, look at the .270 in a bolt action. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray. Lots of dead hogs from a 6.8 SPC and 120 SSTs sent down the tube. Congrats on the kill.

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really like the

350 Legend
450 Bushmaster
300 HAMR

I have had good success with all the above. They are light weight and hit hard.

Fellow Texan from DFW. Thought I’d introduce myself. New to hog hunting. But have always considered the .308 Win to be a good all around hunting caliber. Getting an LWRC in 300 Blk and like to start with that and then a .308.

DeadPigs

LSB Member
Pigs are hard to kill. 5.56 will go through them without much expansion.
My choice is .308 or 450 bushmaster. Both are hard hitting and accurate with the right ammo.
Get ready though. I’ve hit them from 20 yds with the 450. Spun it a full 360 but it hit the ground running. He only went about 30yds but I was impressed he made it that far.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I started with a 6.8 spc and I still love it. Now because I’m lazy and don’t want to track anything I take my 458 socom using 525gr hard cast. I haven’t had a hog or deer walk away from that ever

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on the type of hunting.

I usually take a 300WM (suppressed w/clip-on NV unit) and an AR-10 (suppressed w/thermal). If I'm targeting a larger hog, I use the WM and the AR-10 on everything else.

I find the 5.56 to be a little light for dropping the larger hogs.