Weapons malfunction do over

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I spotted this group of hogs way across the same field I’ve been shooting them in recently and immediately jumped out to engage them.

I’ve got some flir breach footage of my approach that I’ll post when I get home and can hook up to my computer, but for now here is the pulsar video.

So I make my way and get within about 75 yards of the hogs and decided to go ahead and set up for the shot because I was worried the wind could cause trouble since I was somewhat down in the bottom.

Just a moment prior while watching them I thought they had alerted or smelled me because they all abruptly ran about 30 yards away from me. Luckily they immediately resume to they are milling about.

So here I am about to pull the trigger, and I’ve already got six or seven of them added to the scorecard of my mind for tonight when my hopes and dreams are dashed to pieces at the sound of a hammer drop with no corresponding cartridge report.

Ugh!! I wanted to cry. And I gave serious consideration to backing out a couple hundred yards to try and fix the problem and start fresh. Evidently the bolt closed just enough on this particular reload to allow the hammer to function but the round was obviously not chambered all the way because it did not go off.

I stayed put and by some miracle I was able to eject that round, leaving the bolt locked open, then got in position so that I could hit the magazine release and be ready for action if they ran. I drop the bolt to slam home a fresh round without any of the pigs even so much as looking up at me.

Here we go......

Hahaha.

I guess I won’t bore anyone here with excuses of not being seated on the shooting sticks properly in, every time I fired a shot everything moved back-and-forth and it was just awful. Never could get in front of that when I was shooting at.

IMG021.jpeg

Here's about 3 minutes worth of video from the breach as I make my final approach. About 175 down to the final 75 or so yards.

Also, here's a pic when I first stopped my truck and got out. I'll go back in the daytime and rangefind the distance, but I think they are 500 yards away in this photo.IMG015.jpeg .

Last edited:

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So after this mishap and walking the trail of sorrow back to my vehicle and decided to go check another spot nearby.

And wouldn’t you know it, there is one loan boar in the field and he immediately runs for cover when I pull off the road to get set up.

So I decided to camp out in that spot for a little while and periodically check the Flir Vue to see if he’ll come back out.

I dozed off for a little while and when I came to I made a quick look at my surroundings and discovered he was just about to step back out into the field.

Third shot also scored a hit and that shot might have dropped him upon impact, because I found him just inside the bushes.

The best photo I can get of this one.8622B2C5-6792-486A-9200-31DD58FF9A58.jpeg

I am really digging that FLIR Breach. Tonight was the first time I’ve used it where it’s been really dark, since it was cloudy in my area the moon did not provide much illumination.

I would normally walk out across a dark field like this with no aid whatsoever. This thing is the cats meow as I can walk right to the pig and watch his every movement.

Last edited: