SCAR 17 & Reap IR

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anyone have a experience with that combo? I’m generally happy with my piston converted 6.8 but have the itch for something else to try out.

Is the “scope destroyer” designation really a thing?

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been running a REAP and a Leupy VX-R 30mm Hog scope on a SCAR 17s for several years now. No problems.
THAT SAID, I do run light-for-caliber bullets. 130 Hornadys currently. And my shot volume is wayyy lower than you Texas boyz I'm pretty sure.
I think the problem with SCARs n scopes (if it's in fact a reality) is that infernal muzzle brake they come with. It's extremely effective and EXTREMELY loud. Effective to the point of a possible air gunnish type forward recoil pulse which is "known" to be tough on non-airgun scopes. I ditched it first thing cause I had grande plans of occasionally running the can. But with my boat anchor of a can it changed POI way too much for my liking and the tiny shoulder on the SCAR barrel is somewhat questionable for a good mounting base plus throws the balance all outta whack. This is strictly just my opinion, tho', and worth exactly what it cost.
That's best I can figger, anyways. The recoil even with 150's in a SCAR w/o the brake is minimal. I can't imagine anything else about it causing scope issues if ya buy a decent quality optic.
One thing SCAR specific (I think) is that there's a "hump" at the rear most part of the picatinny rail ya hafta watch out for that'll throw ya way over if the D-Loc gets on it. The whole package is 1.5#'s heavier than a similarly outfitted 16" AR in 6.8 and length-wise they're pretty much the same. The SCAR seems a bit more "bulky" to me. YMMV. d:^)