Recently switched to 7.62x39 and Imperssed so far.

kittyhawk

I just recently switched calibers from 5.56 to 7.62x39 for my hog hunting round. Currently I've only killed eight with it and am Sold on the 7.62x39 round for Hogs. I started with Wolf 125SP rounds and shot three with it and they all dropped from neck shots. After examining the exit wounds it appeared they didn't expand too much so I switched to Honardy Steel match with the 123SST and found it delivers more damage.
In the picture below, this sow was shot facing away from me, bullet entered just behind the right ear and exited the left eye. this was a 75 yard shot.

Attachments

• HOG Eye shot.jpg
    HOG Eye shot.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 61

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting! Did a number on her for sure.

kittyhawk

Thanks guys, I got lazy last week and decided to put some corn op on the far side of the pond since I've been seeing lots of Hog and Deer tracks there. The wife were setting outside Friday night about 2100 enjoying the cool night. I was scanning the corn hole ever ten to fifteen minutes with my Signal RT320 NV monocular and spotted this sow at around 2130 or so. We watched her for half an hour hopping more would show. So around 2200 I went inside got my rifle and snuck out the back door went walked the fence line to the wood line where I came out at around fifty yards. My wife was watching her in the Signal R and watched the whole thing. I asked her to record it with the Signal RT but she hit the wrong button and and I forgot to hit record on the Photon RT so nothing was recorded.
In the picture the fence line/ red clay bank is about 100 yards from out front door.

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 50

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gorgeous property you've got there! The 123 grain SSTs, and the 123 grain tulammo 8M3 rounds seem to perform pretty well. Nice work on the hogs. Smart move upgrading from the 5.56.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks like you got her full and undivided attention!
Nice work.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You found ol' blew eyes!! I think she winked atcha. Good kill.

Purdy view from the porch too.

LSB Active Member
I get checking wound damage, but if you are ok with just bang dead hog I wouldn't be afraid to try Wolf 123 HP. We started with 125 SP Jan or Feb 2018 and slowly went to 123 HP. I had read certain HPs didn't do enough damage and tried on a whim first night out with it evetying dead in it's tracks. 62 last year head neck on first ones but the straggler runners never went more than 30 yards. 19 cents/round to your door SG Ammo in bulk it's my steel plinker too so cheap to run the **** out of it!

Last edited: