Pulsar Trail 2 LRF XP50 vs Pulsar Thermion XG50

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Trying to decide on which is better for the average night time hog hunter who will be hunting various properties. This will be a 1 and done set up used for scanning (attached to the gun) and shooting on an AR10 .308 18” (yes I know it will be heavy lol).
I really like the idea of the 12 micron core in the Thermion. And I think I would prefer the 2.5x native zoom on the Thermion over the 1.6x native zoom of the Trail 2. I realize that the Trail 2 comes with a very accurate laser range finder, and has better battery life. I’m hearing a lot of hype around the Trail 2 though over the Thermion, and I can’t figure out why. I would think a 2.5x native zoom with a 12 micron core would produce a better image overall. Yes the Trail 2 would be better for scanning, but isn’t a 2.5x magnification a good sweet spot for compromise between identification, scanning and shooting?

Is there something else with the firmware, features, capabilities or anything else that I’m missing from either of these scopes? And does the12 micron XG50 Thermion produce a noticeably better image than the 17 micron Trail 2??

Thanks in advance! Hope y’all had a great turkey day.

chthump

LSB Member
Trying to decide on which is better for the average night time hog hunter who will be hunting various properties. This will be a 1 and done set up used for scanning (attached to the gun) and shooting on an AR10 .308 18” (yes I know it will be heavy lol).
I really like the idea of the 12 micron core in the Thermion. And I think I would prefer the 2.5x native zoom on the Thermion over the 1.6x native zoom of the Trail 2. I realize that the Trail 2 comes with a very accurate laser range finder, and has better battery life. I’m hearing a lot of hype around the Trail 2 though over the Thermion, and I can’t figure out why. I would think a 2.5x native zoom with a 12 micron core would produce a better image overall. Yes the Trail 2 would be better for scanning, but isn’t a 2.5x magnification a good sweet spot for compromise between identification, scanning and shooting?

Is there something else with the firmware, features, capabilities or anything else that I’m missing from either of these scopes? And does the12 micron XG50 Thermion produce a noticeably better image than the 17 micron Trail 2??

Thanks in advance! Hope y’all had a great turkey day.

Plus for xp50 lrf-65’ wide field of view
Battery life, range finder

plus for the xg50- more detail, possibly longer range shots

i have an older xp50, which i really like alot, have shot many coyotes out past 200yds, and lots of pigs up close, really like the large field of view.
Im watching this post, im in the market also, the xg50 post better definition per my reading, but battery life and 46’ fov is a draw back, interested in what others think