Project Tomahawk

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A few years back, I received a throwing 'hawk as a Christmas gift. It's an old school style 'hawk, cast head, simple handle. Throwing it, you're going to break handles. So, the handle design is simple... allowing you to fashion another handle in the field.

I'm more of the mindset, keep my weapons close to me. Throw a 'hawk (and miss), your enemy may be a "more gooder 'hawk-hucker"... who wants to get stuck with their own 'hawk?

I like a 'hawk as a carry tool for processing kindling and wood for a small fire though. The small (diameter) handle doesn't fill up my meat hooks all that well, and since it didn't come with a mask... it hasn't been used much to date.

To beef up the diameter of the handle... paracord wrap, in a "straight" cocks-comb fashion. This is nothing more than a half hitch, then reversing direction for the next half-hitch, reverse direction and another half-hitch. This means of beefing the handle also gives me a nice length of cordage (easily removed for use) in an emergency. That hank of cordage stuffed in your pocket/pack gets burned up for day to day needs in the field, THIS keeps some on hand for when you REALLY need it (I also wrap a walking staff, but with a spiraling wrap, which is more decorative). The straight wrap on the 'hawk allows for a consistent gripping surface whether choking up, or held at the end for full power use. I tied a Turk's head at the butt to keep my wrap secure from unravelling (as well as it creates a knob to have your hand against... and, it just looks darned good). I tied a Turk's head above the head of the 'hawk, for decoration.

Straight%20Hawk001_zps8coj5yke.jpg

Lanyard. I like a lanyard, but I'm not too fond of fixed loops which snag on stuff and hang me up. So, my long tails from my wrap go through a hole I drilled in the handle, to have the line on only one side of the handle. The Turk's head binds it all tightly in place. A Diamond knot is then tied, up close to the handle (if you don't have a Turk's head to already secure your line). At the end of each tail, a Chinese button knot is tied. The length of each tail is determined by the amount needed to fashion a snugly fitting lanyard. So, once that length is found, the Chinese button knots define the lengths of the tails, as well as acting as a stopper for a sliding knot. For my sliding knot, a Diamond knot (also called a lanyard knot) is tied over (wrapping) the two tails. Slide the knot up to the handle, you have loose tails dangling when not using the 'hawk. Slide the knot to the ends of the tails, you have a custom fitted lanyard.

Straight%20Hawk002_zpsuvgcmtaw.jpg

For this lanyard, put you thumb through the loop, lay both strands of your loop against the back of your hand, and roll your hand onto/gripping the handle.

Straight%20Hawk003_zpsu5scspy0.jpg

Mask. I went into the basement the other day, and grabbed a scrap of veg-tan (thin) leather, big enough to fashion a pair of like masks. My buddy (who gave me my 'hawk) has one just like it. Guess what he's getting for Christmas this year. I shaped the cut leather to cover the cutting edge. The top/bottom edges of the head are angled, so, once secured, it will not come off the head. I fashioned a welt to go between the two halves, this is to protect the stitching from being cut by the blade. Each half was glued together, sandwiching the welt. I then marked off the even spacing for the stitches, plowed a groove into the leather for the stitches to lay into, and sewed the two together with a saddle stitch, using artificial sinew (waxed). Instead of incorporating the flap with one of the sides (the scrap of leather didn't facilitate that), I glued/stitched the flap cut from smaller scrap. Normally, a snap would hold the flap, securing the mask to the head... HOWEVER, my buddy does "Period Correct" mountain man stuff, and, well, snaps hadn't been invented yet. Sooo, I installed a small grommet to the flap, and will fashion a similar closure as my lanyard set-up to secure the flap.

The 'hawk will then be ready to lash to a pack, slip into a loop in a haversack, etc.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here's the completed mask. Again, to preserve the period correct theme, I did not use a snap to secure the flap. A length of leather lacing was looped through the eye grommet. To create friction to hold the thongs in place, I punched a small hole through the two halves and welt. I then threaded the thongs through the hole, and created stoppers at the end by tieing a Chinese Button knot at the end of each tail.

Mask001_zpshden7b9m.jpg

Once the 'hawk's bladed edge is inserted, lay the flap over and tug the tails.

Mas002_zps6okgvvlo.jpg

The opposite side would be facing outward (from your pack, haversack, belt...), helping to keep the thongs protected from being caught on things and pulled. Having the mask on, using the hammer pole to drive stakes, or whatever striking task done (with the blunt side), you have the safety of your cutting edge covered/protected... as well as having the benefit of not getting unintended cuts to gear/body parts.

Mask003_zpsl5kjnhxb.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The leather was then hand rubbed with Obenauf's Leather Oil to keep it supple and protected from moisture.

th

Another project upcoming is "Fix'n Wax". I'll be rubbing that in next (after I make a batch).

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm impressed...very cool!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you, always liked the 'hawk, but was never comfortable carrying it w/o the edge covered. No worries now though.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, always enjoy finding what my hands can make.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done RD a work of useful art!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Frank. I got lucky... I eyeballed the amount of lacing for the closure, and was spot on... no wasted trimmings. I love it when that happens.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Be sure to bring your supplies on your hunting trip to FL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Be sure to bring your supplies on your hunting trip to FL
Somebody's thinking a new sheath for an old knife, huh?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeppers, I am certainly doing that!