My dogs saved the hunt

mc68

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We had a great weekend at the ranch. The dogs were good as always but this weekend they payed off big time.

First I shot a doe and after I shot her I lost sight of her due to recoil from my rifle. I wasn’t sure where she went. I shot her with a .308, so I felt confident that she was dead. Not a drop of blood at point of impact. NOT GOOD. The search started and continued for an hour. No blood found. Damn! I went back to camp and picked up my wife and the dogs. I showed the dogs where I shot the doe and they put their noses to the ground and started working. The younger one looked as if he was on a trail. They both stopped at a deer footprint on the ground and smelled it for a while. I walked over there and looked around and located a small drop of blood. By the time I found that blood they had already found the deer! I had to catch up with them but she was under a tree. I was so excited and PROUD of them. Tiger did an awesome job.

Later that morning we were walking about the front of the property and I looked at the young one and he was on a deer trail and had something. It was a nice Axis horn. The trail was going between tree and was very hard for us to see. The trees may have knocked it off. Again, Tiger did a great job! We always have a great time at the ranch but spending time with the dogs out there is really cool and everyone loves them. Both dogs are Catahoulas and part of the family.

A583CE2F-1CB0-4C8D-AC0A-135DBF14E508.jpeg 484852CD-3616-4C20-A1A1-4099C08D7A86.jpeg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
GOOD dogs! They earned some good bits of organ meat on this day.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story!

I’m a big fan of Catahoulas...

Have had a couple, but rescued them and they weren’t field capable.

I’m not sayin’ they couldn’t get on a blood trail, but I strongly suspect they would show up five hours later with the stink of skunk, a face full of quills, and a rattlesnake hanging off their butt.

And thrilled about their adventure.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice to see Man's Best Friend helping out.