How to get your wife to eat wild pig Pt 1

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Start by cutting a couple pounds of meat into chunks about 1” square. Obviously, the better cuts of meat will turn out better and more tender, but any parts or pieces will do.

Pre-heat a couple table spoons oil of your choice in a suitably sized pot (cast iron is the best) and begin browning the meat. You have to add oil for this because wild pigs are too lean without it. BTW, this recipe is usually made with country style (boneless) pork ribs which are fatty enough to be browned without added oil.

When the meat is browned and the oil is almost gone, add just enough warm water to de-glazed the bottom of the pan. This will result in a light brown liquid in the pot. Continue to brown the meat in the same manner and when the pot starts to dry up, add water and repeat the process. Do this anywhere from five to eight times until the gravy is as dark as you like. The more times you do it, the richer the gravy will become. This will be a thin transparent gravy, not like the traditional thickened gravies.
When you have the meat as brown as you think you want, add one medium sized onion diced up and season generously with an all purpose Cajun seasoning. (Tony Chachere, Slap Ya Mama, etc.) If these are your only choices, Slap Ya Mama has less salt and more flavor. If you can’t find any of these, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder will do also. Cook like Cajuns do, season to taste and add something if it doesn’t seem right.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Pt 2

Brown the onions and meat together and when ready to de-glaze again, add enough water to cover the meat completely.

Turn the heat down, cover, and simmer for a couple hours checking regularly to insure it isn’t sticking or drying up. When the meat is tender enough to cut with a spoon, uncover and cook out most of the liquid until you are left with a nice dark gravy with enough liquid to soak into some rice.

Serve over a bed of cooked rice of your choice with enough gravy to wet the rice. Any rice will do, but plain ole white rice soaks up the gravy and flavor the best.

Enjoy! Now you can cook like a Cajun.

CAUTION!! If any of this gets on your forehead, your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang...my tongue just cracked my computer screen !! Guess I'll just have to settle for store bought pork to try that with. Hmmm... could be a good task for a newly rejuvenated Dutch Oven.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My wife will taste, but never like venison or wild hog, but she went back for seconds on this and froze the left overs for later. That should say enough about how edible it is. I'm not a good reference, because I will eat (almost) anything.

Also, If you cook this at deer camp, you WILL get invited back.

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I guess I know what I'll be trying this weekend!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for taking time to go through the detail needed for cooking up this good looking dish.
I know I will be using this recipe - Soon!
Looks reallly tasty. :D

Dennis

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great, now I am starving!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Start cooking! What time will we be eating?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Who says hog hunters aren't recyclers? Looks Good!